Chapter 20

Chapter 20

(edited)

"Ayrika! What are you doing out here?" He said suddenly, as if it wasn't obvious enough.

"I'm taking Olive for a walk, what's with the dapper outfit you got on?" I asked motion towards his outfit.

He said nothing. He kicked at the cement of the garage, looking at it as if he had something to hide.

"Karder, please tell me what's going on." I lifted his chin up so he looked me in the eyes.

He sighed. "I can't tell you."

I scoffed. "Of course you can't."

I stormed past him, placing Olive gently on the ground.

Angrily, I started to walk away from the house and eventually started running. Olive ran with me of course, but when she started to slow down I picked her up and kept on running.

After a while I came to an open field with one tree in the middle of it. I sat under the tree and placed Olive next to me.

Not two seconds later I started crying. Crying about Karder. Karder about all the things he told me that I wish were true. Maybe the fact that all the times he said he loved me, we're just little lies and cover ups to make this seem like a normal teenage relationship.

But then, I remembered something. I pulled out a little slip of paper with a note I had written myself right after Karder had told me about Jesus.

It read:

Don't be afraid to shine your light for Jesus.

I angrily crushed it in my palm and threw it as far as I could.

I sulked in my arms, Olive came up to me, and licked my face a couple of times.

I cry-laughed. "I hope you don't have to go through the same thing I do now. It's pretty rough. Karder's lying to me. Maybe about everything he's ever told me. About Jesus, about his affection towards me, about him actually saying he truly loved me? No. No one ever cared enough to ever—"

Before I could finish, a bright light filled the space around me. It felt like a warm blanket.

"Ayrika." the voice was calm, relieving, touching. "Why don't you believe?"

The light walked towards where I had threw the paper. The light picked it up and opened the crumpled paper. It seemed as though the light smiled as it read the paper.

"W-who are you?" I asked scared.

"I am, who I am." the voice said.

"That doesn't really explain who you are, though."

The voice chuckled, and moved closer to me. The light grabbed my hand. I was started at first, but it seemed as though this was all natural. "Ayrika, you are a special light, I have been waiting to see grow brighter. You are loved, you are cared for, you are needed. Do not fear my child, for I the lord your God, is with you always."

"So, you are God?"

He chuckled. "Yes, my child."

"Well, God, I'm really confused about Karder. Who is he really?"

"That, my daughter, you will have to find out for yourself."

"I don't know if I can—"

"Ayrika. Trust in the Lord your God and he shall be with you always. Trust me, my child. You are loved, cared for. Don't stop shining your light."

And as if reading my mind, He hugged me. I instantly felt peace, love, and hope. It felt like I was meant to be there always.

"God," I started. "I-I'm ready. To give my life to you."

He smiled and gave me one touch of life. It filled me instantly and I smiled gratefully.

"I love you, my child." He said lastly. As with one blink, he disappeared.

In much lighter spirit than I had been ever in my entire lifetime, grabbed Olive and ran back home to finally tell Karder, what had happened.