Bouns Chapter

2 YEARS LATER
Lorraine Romano

It's been nine years.

It's been nine years since I last saw my mother.

Nine years since I last saw Katina.

Nine years since I last celebrated my birthday.

Nine years since I last thought about my father up until today...

This box, wrapped in pink ribbon was the last thing my father gave me. He told me to open it after my birthday party but after I lost her. I did not have the strength to open it for eight years.

It was from her, I was afraid but now that I've finally accepted that she's gone and healed. I am ready.

My fingers tremble as I gently pull the red ribbon off the box. My throat tightens, palms my  sweating and the smyach twisting.

God I ha,ven't felt this scared in years.

I take a deep breath before pulling the cover off the box, my brows are pulled together in suspicion when I see a closed note, followed by a silver thin bracelet in diamonds with the initials L. I take out the folded note and thumb careering the 9-year-old paper that was hidden away from the world in a box.

I take a seat on the edge of the bed, placing the box on my lap as I unfold the letter. My heart drops when I read the first three words written in bold.

My Dear Lorraine.

I recognize that handwriting anywhere.

My mothers.

Anxiety licks my bones as I read through the words, each sentence causing a tear to pull out of my eyes.

When tomorrow starts without me and I'm
not here to see, I beg of you to not cry for me,
though I am still here watching over you my
love. Sooner or later it was meant to be for me
to leave you.

It breaks my heart that I've had to
hide so much from you, knowing that I've put
you into this life. The first time I've held you
in my arms. You have captured my heart
and saved it. Your father is an awful man.
If only I knew sooner I would have kept you
away from this and do a donetter job as a
mother but I failed.

No, no, no you didn't fail mother.

When I found out that he
wanted to take you away from me It was like
he was taking away my ability to breatbreathe
were and still are my world.
He wanted me to
give him a killing machine but I failed him
with byring him a girl. So I made a deal
with him. If he allowed me to spend 18 years
with you then he should take me
instead of you. I've sacrificed everything just to keep you safe
and alive and
I will do it again in a heartbeat.

I love you Lora,, never change.

Tears flooded my eyes a sob finally escapes my lips, I hold the letter tight against my chest as it was the only thing I have left of her. I'm a sobbing mess sitting at the edge of the bed in our bedroom while Vincenzo and Raphaël were down stairs making lunch.  2

"Mommy, mo-." a little boy calls out.

I turn my head to the side, quickly wiping away my tears before facing them. Raphaël walked in with Vincenzo my 3 year old boy in his arms.

I rise from the bed and walk over to them. A deep frown covers Raphaël features as Vincenzo starred at me with confusion with his big doe eyes and fluffy hair as sauce was smudged across his mouth.

"What's wrong?" Raphaël questioned worriedly. I soothe the invisible wrinkles on my floral dress tucking my dark strand of hair behind my ear. 

"I finally opened it." I say, nibbling on my bottom lip. Wordiness flashes in his hazel eyes. "It was not what I expected but it was good." I added.

Raphaël placed his hand on my cheek and I lean into it, my shoulders while I let out a breath I did not know I was holding. "It was from my mother, a letter she wrote before she died." I whisper the last part, reopening my eyes I meet his gaze. "How do you feel about it?" he questions softly before placing Vincenzo on the ground, a small smile crept onto my lips when he rushed over to me, wrapping his little arms around my legs. "I don't know how to feel but, I'm glad I have a something that will make me feel like she's no longer far away from me." 

Raphaël grips my chin and places a gentle kiss onto my lips. I kiss him back.

"Eww!" Vincenzo squealed, hitting Raphaël on the leg before running away giggling. Raphaël sighs, pressing his forehead against mine, his hands wrapping around my waist. "Why did want a child again?" he inquired. I playfully slap him on the shoulder. "It was your idea remember?"

"Well, I blame you because every goddamn night I fuck you, you make me want to risk it all. Never again am I falling into your wicked games of seducing me into having a child." he protested. I roll my eyes, placing my hands on his chest, feeling his heartbeat on my hand.

"Thank you Raphaël." I blurted out, his gaze soften as his thumb strokes my cheek. "For?" he questioned searching my eyes. "For just being there for me even though I had nothing to offer." I stated. He shakes his head as he lets out a light chuckle. "You've offered me more then I could thank you for red. I should be the one thanking you not the other way around."

"So, thank you red. For putting up with my shit and still seeing the good in me." he adds.

Without another word I lean in and place a kiss onto his cheek then pulled back.

"Let's go back downstairs before Vincenzo breaks everything."

"That boy is literally a pain the ass." He groans, running his hand along his face. "Get's it from his father." I teased before walking away.

When I reached the stairs I paused in my tracks. I open my left hand revealing the bracelet. The corner of my lips tug up into a small smile, warmth pulling into my lower stomach. I clip the bracelet around my wrist. My fingers brushing against the small letter L.

For the first time in a long time, I've finally found my peace and freedom.

I'm no longer trapped by the sins of my father.

____

THE LETTER

Thank you all again for your love and support

Thank you all again for your love and support. I really am lucky to have share my imagination with you guys!