Chapter 1

✩✩✩✩☆

Clover got out of the car, after yet again another chemotherapy, which she hated. Miles, her brother, helped her towards the apartment block until they saw a Hispanic boy. He looks new around here. They walk over to him to introduce themselves.

"Hey you look new around here" Clover speaks up, making the boy jump a bit.

"Uh yeah, my family and I just moved into 109. I'm Miguel," he introduces.

"I'm Clover and my brother Miles," Clover says, pointing to Miles, who smiles and waves.

"Anyway, we have to head inside. Nice meeting you," Miles says. Miguel waves as the two walk into their own apartment.

They do their own thing for a bit, Clove decided she wanted to do a small movie night and Miles wants to join her too. After dinner, they head to the strip mall and get some snacks for the movie. They see Mr. Lawrence in there trying to buy a pizza and their neighbour. They send a small smile and head to get some chips and chocolate. They wait in line after Mr. Lawrence and then Miguel

"My grandma's not feeling well," Miguel tells us, and the two nod.

"Didn't ask. Come on, what's Spanish for "just give me my damn slice"? " Mr Lawrence says, Clover sighs, knowing this may take a little bit. Clover hears the owner say something in Spanish that she couldn't quite understand.

"What did you just say?" He asks, then turns to Miguel

"What did he say?" Mr. Lawrence says

"You don't want to know," Miguel says, smiling a little.

"No, I know it was something bad; just tell me." He says, unamused.

"Uh, he said-- he said you have a tiny..." Miguel trails off, pointing down there

"He said I have a tiny wang?" Mr. Lawrence says, offended. Clover tries to stifle a laugh.

"Tell him he has a tiny wang." Mr. Lawrence continues.

"I speak English, asshole." The owner says

"Oh, really?" Mr. Lawrence says, throwing the money at him and snatching the pizza.

Some boys walked in trying to buy alcohol, got denied, and blamed Miguel, Clover handed the money and went out there to stop anything from happening. The leader roughly shoves him. Then snatches what he bought and tipped it on his head.

"Bitch." The leader says

"Asshole," Miguel responds

"Oh! What'd you say, 'Rhea?" He says, coming back in his face.

"I-I didn't say anything." Miguel stutters out. Clover walks over to them, as he gets punched in the stomach

"Hey leave him alone," Clover tells them

"Hey look at this slut" one says, going close up to her.

"Hey, where are you going, pussy?" The leader says, dragging Miguel back and then pushing him onto a car

"Hey! Watch the car, man." Mr. Lawrence says, standing up. Taking the attention off the three. Miles walks up to Clover and Miguel and makes sure they were alright.

"All right, trust me, you guys are pissing off the wrong guy on the wrong day, all right?" Mr. Lawrence says as the boys kept trying to degrade the man.

"Really?" He says

"Yeah, really." Mr. Lawrence responds

"Get the hell out of here, loser." The leader says, pushing Mr. Lawrence. Mr. Lawrence then busts out this cool kick knocking him down

"Ah." He says, obviously he hasn't done that for a while

"Let's get him." One says

"Holy shit, how did you–" Miguel starts, then he gets attacked from behind

"What's the matter? Having trouble breathing?" The leader says but gets knocked to the floor.

"Is that all you got, ladies?" Mr. Lawrence says as they are all now back on the ground

"Come on, Ky. Let's go."

"Ge off me!" The leader says, going in for more. Sirens are heard close by.

"What's the matter? Having trouble breathing?" Mr. Lawrence copies him.

"Hey, get off the kid!" The cop said, then sprayed him with pepper spray.

"It's not his fault!" They all exclaimed but no one listened as they defeatingly headed back home for a much-needed movie night.

The following day, Clover's mum took both Clover and Miles out to get ready for a new school year and a new school. Clover was extremely nervous for a new school, new people, it was kinda scary. Afterward, Clover and Miles hung out in the food court, drinking slushies while just hanging out together. When Clover gets home she sorts through her stuff, realising how lucky she is to still be here.

After all, there is only a small chance of survival for her, so she decides to make a bucket list of things she wants to do before she dies, in case it ever comes to that. Clover sat at her desk thinking about it until she come up with 9 things

Learn to skateboard

Learn Karate

Dancing in the rain

Make a best friend

Try out a job

Go to prom

Say my first I love you to someone special

Promise rings

Finish school

Looking at her list happy with what she got, she sighs thinking about the worst-case scenario. Clover then groans in realisation about having to go to the country club tomorrow, all she gets is pity stares from people who her mum has told about her condition, she hated getting unwanted attention, she guesses she would have to get used to it.