9. Knock from the past

When he entered the food mess, his nostrils got filled up with the aromas of the cooked food for tonight.

"Arey! Abhimanyu beta, I so wanted to say that you are late but today our dinner is late because someone took upon themselves to delight us with Rajasthani delicacies for tonight.", Neilima ma addressed him.

Soon his eyes fell on the chef, carrying a bowl of Laapsi in her small hands for the desert and placing it near the other serving bowls containing Gatte ki sabzi, Kadhi, Rice & Missi Roti.

She again welcomed him with her precious smile and his heart danced with joy, if she was here and was cooking dinner, that too of his liking then maybe she didn't went on her planned date.

As Akira turned around she stumbled two steps back, placing a hand over her heart she yelled at Nikita,
"Niki! How many times have I told you to not stand behind me as a ghost without making any noise. Gosh! You almost gave me a mini-heart attack."

But Nikita addressed her with a straight face,
"How did your date went with Kabeer?"

With that question, his heart felt a sudden pain, maybe she went on the date but it didn't longed much, kinda short date or what if the date didn't went well, he prayed for the second one to be true.

"Umm, yeah, it was.....it was kinda good, actually maybe just fine-fine."

"Stop lying to me Aki! You ghosted Kabeer, didn't you, that guy was waiting for you at the cafeteria. For God, all we, your friends, want is to see you happy with someone. Every weekend when we go out with out boyfriends, we see you all by yourself, gardening or cooking or reading, something to just kill your time. Why can't you let someone enter your life?", Nikita was on a verge of tears.

Akira just took her dear friend in a bear hug.
"I know you want to see me happy, but trust me when I say it that I am happy, I might be alone but I am not lonely, I have gotten myself with me. All my life Niki, all my life I have just craved for a connection with myself and I have finally clicked it with myself. And right now I am not ready to share it someone else, I didn't ghosted Kabeer, I explained to him that I am not ready for any kind of relationship, and by going on a date with him I just don't wanna give him false hopes."

"You are to good to be alone Aki, don't make your life so boring, think about the future.", Niki mumbled.

"Well talking about the future, I have planned it all, I'll grow old in a small apartment, will adopt at cat and call her my daughter; a dog will be very energetic for me at that age and then I'll spoil all your kids and then grandkids.", she replied amusingly which didn't convinced her friend.

"That is a very boring life I would say.", Abhimanyu's voice caught her off-gaurd.

"Here's my supporter.", as Nikita approached him.

"Go on Niki, eye him and I will scope out your eye balls with my bare hands.", jealous Akira doesn't know boundaries.

"What about you? How do you invision your life ahead.", her friend tried to be flirtatious.

Abhimanyu Scoffed a little,
"If you would have asked me this question a year ago then I would have given a similar answer as of your friend. But now if you ask me then I would say, I want to experience love, marry her, have kids and grandkids of our own and spoil them together with the grandkids of our friends and family, want to grow old with her, adopt a dog who will pull us out of our bed every morning for his walk and that will keep us oldies also fit and active."

As Abhimanyu continued to picturise the beautiful life he imagine while looking straight in her eyes, she started imagining all of it with him. But reality hit her mockingly saying its all too good to be true.