Chapter 21 - Now That You Know

.

DISCLAIMER

All the posts in this story are works of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events, and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. The pictures used within this story are for visual representation only. The author of this book does not state or implied that the actions written in this story are representative of the actual people.

.

.

LATE TUESDAY AFTERNOON, THE THIRD WEEK OF JANUARY 2022

.

After three years of saving his paychecks from work and his side work from DJ-ing – (well, what he didn't spend on clothes, shoes, jewelry, and his other habits) ... money from his grandparents, and the other half of the $12,000, Keon went to the dealership that Tyson recommended with Derrick.

As soon as Keon saw that red Toyota coupe, he was in love. Plus, the price was close to what he had saved. But then he spoke to the salesman, who was trying to get him to finance the car through the dealership. This was something that his father and Tyson told him not to do.

.

Keon: [trying to remain calm, even though he was getting frustrated] ... Look, I'm not tryna have a car note on something I got the cash for.

Car Salesman: ... I completely understand, but let's just say ... you pay for the car outright. You have it for 6 weeks, or 6 months ... then you get into a wreck. All that money gone!

Keon: Ni ... [catching himself]

... No car note!

Car Salesman: [chuckles slighty] ... Okay, okay. You must really like it.

Keon: Yeah, my nigga. But the max I can do is $12,000.

Car Salesman: [scrunches his face slightly] ... The list price is what it is! And that doesn't include taxes, title, and fees.

Derrick: That's some bullshit.

Keon: Okay, how much with all that included.

.

When the salesman showed Keon how much the taxes, title, and dealer fees would be, Keon was shocked.

.

Keon: [looking at the calculations and then at Derrick] ... You right, this is some bullshit. How the fuck y'all want another $950?

Car Salesman: State sales tax, getting the title and the registration with the DMV, plus other fees.

Keon: [shaking his head] ... That's all I got, though!

Derrick: [just as the salesman was about to cancel the deal] ... I'll lend you the rest.