Ten

Sal couldn't help but stare at Travis. His hair was a mess. He looked like he didn't sleep. Sal watched and counted every time Travis started to fall asleep. 8, to be exact. He looked like he crawled out of bed and put sweatpants and a sweatshirt on.

"Sal! Are you even paying attention?!" Mrs. Packerton shouted at Sal to get his attention.

Sal looked at her and shook his head. "If it looks like I'm not, then I'm not." Sal's pigtails bounced around after he shook his head.

"Don't have an attitude with me Mr." Mrs. Packerton shook her head and continued with the lesson.

~~~~

Sal couldn't take it anymore. He stood up and walked over to the other side of the lunchroom. "Get up." Sal walked up to Travis and he looked at Sal.

"What?" Travis looked at him and Sal could feel the stares of his friends and others.

Sal shook his head. "Get up Travis." Sal could tell Travis felt like he was being threatened and he was too tired to care so he continued to stare at Sal.

"Jesus fucking christ Phelps." Sal walked over to Travis and grabbed his arm and forced him to stand up.

"Let's go." Sal pulled Travis away and they walked out of the lunchroom.

Sal walked through the halls with Travis as he struggled to get out of his grip. They stopped at the bathrooms and Sal walked in, with Travis behind him without a choice.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?!" Travis angrily glared at Sal.

"I want answers." Sal locked the bathroom door so no one would walk in.

"Answers to what?! And please tell me, why the hell would I tell you shit!!" Travis huffed and Sal sighed.

"Travis.. Look at yourself in the mirror. Tell me you don't look okay." Sal leaned against the wall, away from the door so Travis could leave if he truly wanted to.

Travis closed his eyes and shook his head slowly. He slowly opened his eyes with tears forming. "I fucking hate myself for opening up to.. You."

Sal looked at Travis with wonder and concern. "Travis you don't have to actually tell me shit if you don't want to.. You hate me." Sal slightly laughed.

"I don't." Travis ruffled his hair and stared at Sal.

"You.. You don't get it. No one does.. I don't hurt you for the fun of it Fisher." Sal nodded to let him know he was listening.

"I.. I have family problems.. That's all I'll say.." Travis trailed off. He couldn't answer anymore to Sal. He's already said too much.

"Travis, I get that. Maybe we don't have the same problems, maybe we do. But I'm here for you, fuck what everyone else thinks!" Sal smiled under his prosthetic and Travis slightly smiled. Sal watched as a tear fell down his cheek.

"I'm sorry Sal." Travis started crying more and Sal got off of the wall and walked over.

"I might be short and look stupid but I know a thing or two about shitty families." Sal hugged his now non-enemy as he cried into Sal's head since he was too short.

"I'm a fucking idiot." Travis slightly laughed through his sobs and Sal shook his head.

"You've been through a lot of shit, I can tell. You also haven't had anyone to talk about it to for a while." Sal looked up at Travis.

"Thank you Sal." Travis sniffled.

~~~~~

Words:581