7

It's been about a year since Luke and Calum first interacted.

It's crazy how fast time has flown by and how much Luke's life has changed.

He was now making a decent amount of money, officially being able to split the rent with Ashton which he was still living with (Ashton didn't mind).

Luke loved having a roommate, he liked the idea that he could sit and talk to someone after a long day. After all, Ashton did make a promise to Calum that he would take Luke under his wing and help him get back on his feet.

Now all this time has passed and Luke has gotten so much recognition from the locals and from the community he started to get other offers but he quickly turned them down. He didn't want to do anything else, he loved the restaurant, he loved his co workers and more importantly he loved having Calum as his boss.

On one particular Friday night the place was packed because it was half of drinks and appetizers. Sabrina was running in and out of the kitchen, going from one table to the next. Amy on the other hand just kept getting slammed with drinking orders doing several at a time.

Luke stayed back by the bar chit chatting with Amy as he watched her crank out all various cocktails at once. He's seen her do that every day and it still had him mesmerized .

There was a tap on the microphone and everyone's heads turned toward the stage and Calum appeared on there pacing back and fourth trying to get the place to quiet down so he wouldn't have to talk so loudly.

"Good evening." He finally spoke and then it got almost completely silent.

"Is everyone having a good time? Are the drinks okay? Is the food good?" There was some cheers and Calum liked the sound of that.

"Tonight is a really important and special night." Calum spoke mysteriously getting the customers into it.

"Luke come up here." Calum pointed for him and Amy to go, now all eyes were on him as he walked through a bunch of tables making his way to the stage.

"This is Luke, everyone. He has become a real special part of this restaurant and this business and he has really uplifted the community over the last several moments and I can never thank him enough for coming to work every day with nothing but a smile on his face. Please give him a round of applause ladies and gentlemen." Calum paused letting people clap for the talented man.

"A lot of you know Luke solely because he's an entertainer but a lot of people don't know this about him. Before Luke decided to sing, he used to be a middle school history teacher and a baseball coach but then life started to get hard. He started having to call in sick, started having to go to the doctors and nobody knew what was wrong." Luke didn't know that Calum was going to go there but he did and Luke just stood there trying not to make full eye contact with crowd.

"He was in and out of hospitals for a year straight and because of all those missed days, his job ultimately had no choice but to let him go and when they let him go so did his health insurance and he was left to make the heavy decision of using up his life savings to pay for medical care." Calum spoke firmly as the crowd started to react to his words.

"This guy you see beside me, did what he could to get to the bottom of why he was so ill and because he focused on his health, in the process of all that he lost his home and because he lost his home he had no choice but live out on the streets in our community waiting for a miracle to happen." At this point Luke wanted Calum to stop talking but Calum didn't listen, Calum wanted to get his point across.

"When he finally got to the bottom of why he was so ill, he learnt devastating news, he was in heart failure and was left to deal with his health issues while on the street. He couldn't afford his care any longer forcing him to ration every last pill until he couldn't anymore." Those were the words that broke Amy and Sabrina's hearts the most as they stood next to one another trying to stop them selves from shedding a tear, Luke noticed them from afar attempting to mouth "don't cry, don't cry" to them a couple of times.