16

The phone rang multiple times until a pick up sound was heard.

"Hello?" The voice said and Luke had a sigh of relief.

"Calum.. it's uh, Luke." Luke bit his lip waiting for a response.

"Listen I need your help. I'm currently being held on a five thousand dollar bail at the local precinct do you think you could help? I promise I will pay you back with in a month."

"LUKE I already know about everything." Calum spoke, visible disappointment in his tone.

"Oh. Does that mean you're coming down?"

"Possibly." Calum kept his answers short. Luke thought that was a little odd.

"Okay.. when should I expect to see you?"

"Soon." After calum spoke his last word the line went dead. Luke thought it was strange. He slammed the phone back on the wall and the guard led him back to the holding cell.

He sat on the cold concrete again just staring out into space just waiting and watching.

several hours passed, and a guard came walking toward him and behind him was Calum and he looked angry.

Calum walked up to the door and Luke jumped up, happy to see Calum.

"Thank god you're here! I can't wait to get out of here!" Luke was excited but Calum not so much.

"How could you do that? How could you get into a physical altercation with another co worker?"

Luke's facial expression changed quickly.

"You don't know the full story."

"I know about it all.. you threw the first punch. you broke things. you caused a ruckus.. all because you needed to make a point?" Luke thought Calum was on his side clearly he was not.

"But.."

"Save it, Luke. You disappointed me. This is why I don't like workplace relationships because then it causes unnecessary drama.  Who cares what he said you could've just walked away."

"Walk away? Just walk away?" Luke repeated.

"Yeah, you don't have to be the hero in every situation. You embarrassed yourself and my place of business all because you have no self control."

Luke inhaled deeply.

"I can't stay quiet when someone bad mouths one of my best friends. Some people have class and morals." Luke explained and Calum thought it was a stupid excuse.

"That's a really stupid excuse. And don't talk to me about class, classy people don't get into fights and don't get arrested like the way you did."

The two of them just kept going back and fourth.

"It's clear that your relationship with Sabrina is interfering with both of your work and it's not a good thing."

"What relationship?"

"You're going to play that game with me?" Calum thought Luke was messing with him.

"You must take me as some sort of idiot. Everyone sees it.. friends don't kiss friends in the break room, they don't hold hands coming into work and leaving.. the two of you are more than friends, you're lovers." Luke got defensive denying the claim.

"All we are is friends, best friends nothing else." He tried to save himself.

Calum decided to flip the subject.

"Luke, my wife was right about you. You can't be trusted and I have no idea why I constantly went out of my way to help you all this time. I didn't think you would ever backstab me the way you did. Maybe it's time you learned to fend for yourself and learn a lesson. You can spend a night in jail for all I care... maybe it will give you some time to think."

Luke tried to talk but Calum wouldn't let him.

"I gotta go, Luke. Remember your actions have consequences."

Calum walked away leaving Luke shocked. It appeared that Calum wasn't going to help and that he would be in fact spending the night in jail.

But what worried him the most was Sabrina finding out and how she would react to the situation.

Luke didn't sleep that night his mind was clouded and racing a lot.

He barely ate either, he didn't have an appetite and the food looked weird, a big turn off for him.

During the next day, Luke sat on the floor again looking at the floor, annoyed at how everything's played out in the last twenty four hours and as he got caught off guard and then he heard his name.

He looked up seeing that was Ashton. "How did Ashton find out?" He thought to himself.

He stood up dusting off his pants.

Ashton shocked to see him and vice Versa.

"Ashton why are you here? How did you find out?"

"Calum told me. He told me everything."

"He told you?"

"Yep. I came down as soon as I could."

"Let me guess you're going to embarrass me too right?" Ashton looked very confused by that statement.

"No, but I paid the bail. They're going to let you go for now until they get a court date."

"A court date?"

"Yeah, the dude pressed charges on you and they need you to stand in front of a judge and jury to see what your sentence is going to be." This was the first Luke was hearing about this.

In the midst of them talking a guard unlocked the door motioning for Luke to step out.

"You're free to go. Go in the first room and collect your belongings."

Ashton let Luke go in front of him and he followed him and then following him to the parking lot.

Luke got into the passenger seat and was just thankful that someone came to help him out.

"Thanks for helping me out, Ashton."

"It's not a problem."

"I'll pay you back soon." Ashton nodded sticking the key into the ignition and taking off.

"I'll take you home, okay?"

"No.. don't go there. Take me to Sabrina's place. Please."