10

It was getting closer to the two week mark.

everyone did what they could to get people to sign up to see if they matched.

A lot of people did, including Calum, Ashton, Sabrina and Amy who later found out that none of them were matches and it was devastating hearing all those calls from the hospital.

All of them now standing around in the restaurant in a silence basically accepting that there wasn't much more that they could do. It was a sad reality at this point and they thought by now they would have had a positive outcome.

"Sabrina I think you should go down and see Luke, and say goodbye I don't think he's going to hang on much longer, considering what the doctors are saying."Sabrina looked down at the floor she couldn't look at her boss in the eye.

"I can't, I can't do it." She repeated, just feeling so heartbroken.

"You can. You have to believe in yourself. I know it's hard, I know it's hard to accept reality but he's your best friend — it's the right thing to do and you know that."

Out of everyone, Sabrina was the only one who avoided going down to the hospital, she couldn't face reality because it was too hard for her.

Sabrina refused to go so they all sat at a table in the middle of the restaurant drinking coffee saying nothing for a long time.

Ashton checked his watch realizing what time it was and he left, heading to work for an important seminar.

As soon as Ashton left through the back, Calum's phone rang, and he answered it quickly.

The phone call lasted about two or three minutes and he kept his answers brief before hanging up the phone.

"I have some news." The mood in the room shifted and Sabrina felt chills through out her body.

"They found a match! Luke's getting a new heart." Calum broke the exciting news and everyone was just in so much shock, this proved their hard work had finally paid off.

"Really?" Amy just wanted to confirm that this was real life and not a dream.

"Yes! They found a match in one city over from us. It's finally happening."

The three of them took a couple of minutes taking this news in before climbing into Calum's car en route to the hospital.

Upon arrival at the hospital all of them ran in side where nurses escorting them to a private waiting room where they would be awaiting for some updates, some news.

On the medical side of the things, there was a whole surgical team, including the transplant unit and the cardiac unit and they rushed Luke into the operating room where they began the process of removing the old heart and replacing it with the new, a rigorous and delicate process.

Calum, Amy and Sabrina sat around in the waiting room trying to pass time, reading magazines, looking at the window and creating small talk.

As each hour past, the more nervous they grew they just wanted someone to come out with an update and tell them that everything was fine.

And on the eighth hour of them sitting there a door opened and a surgeon appeared pulling off his mask and gloves.

He quickly introduced himself as one of the main surgeons and the three of them stood up shaking his hand and thanking him.

"We're sorry for keeping you all waiting for all this time but I have some great news: the  surgery went really well. Luke was moved to recovery and a nurse can escort you to where he is if you wish to see him at this time."
It was like a weight had been from their shoulders and they took turns hugging each other in celebration.

"Thank you, sir, we appreciate the great news. And yes we would like to see him if that's okay." Calum spoke on behalf of them all and the doctor called for a nurse who took them down the other hall to a room with a sign out front that had the words "Recovery Unit" on the front.

The nurse stopped for a moment before opening the door, "I just want to warn everyone that he's still on heavy sedation and breathing tubes, it's to help with the transition which should only take a couple of days."

Sabrina gulped at the nurses words just trying to brace herself, this would be the first time she'd be seeing Luke in nearly three weeks and she already knew it would be a lot to take in mentally especially since he just came out major life saving surgery.

The nurse slowly opened the door letting Calum go in first then Amy and Sabrina went last, they heard beeps first before they say Luke covered in tubes and wires while being unconscious.

Calum tip toed to one side to the bed and Amy went to the other, Sabrina was afraid to get any closer. She just couldn't believe that after all this time that she was finally in front of him finally knowing that everything was going to be okay.

"Sabrina, it's okay. See he's okay." Calum spoke softly wanting Sabrina to take his place and as much as she didn't want to get that close Calum sweetly persuaded her and now she was standing next to him, admiring him before she reached down where she attempted to hold his hand — his skin felt warm which calmed her down because that meant that he was alive, that he was right there and wasn't going anywhere.

"Luke it's me, Sabrina. I'm finally here." She whispered looking at the heart monitor noticing that it spiked slightly just by her touching him slightly and talking to him.

Calum noticed it too. "He knows you're here Sabrina. I think he's been waiting for you."

She stood there awhile periodically squeezing his hand just thinking about everything that has happened, being as strong as possible. Calum came up behind Sabrina placing his hand on her shoulder trying to keep her calm.

"You're a hero Sabrina, without you he wouldn't be here right now."

Eventually all of them took a seat until a nurse came in telling them that visiting hours were over and that they had to leave. She promised them that if there was any changes that she would give one of them a call which was reassuring.

They were just so thankful and grateful that everything turned around for the better.