28

One day a random thought came to Luke's head, he wanted to start learning how to play the piano because it has amused him for the longest time.

The good thing about this was the shelter had a music room and art room in the basement to keep the residents entertained and a lot of them took full advantage of the equipment — Luke on the other hand, wished he would've thought of this idea sooner rather than later but he got to work right away.

Later on in the day when hardly anyone would be downstairs he would go down there and sit at the piano, following instructions he found online, kind of angry at the fact that he kept screwing up, slamming on the keys a couple of times.

He was secretive about this for weeks, practicing as much as he could, some of the residents watching his, impressed as his progress.

The reasonings behind all of this is Sabrina and Luke had a bet going on, Luke mentioned more than once how he wanted a piano for the house and Sabrina didn't really understand why he wanted one if he couldn't play so she bet him that if he learned how to play an entire song front to back, they would go ahead and make that investment.

Then the day came, Luke called Sabrina to come down to the shelter, Shailene (one of the workers at the front desk welcomed her) "your husband wants to see you, he's downstairs." Shailene told her, smiling, trying to not spoil anything.

She watched as Sabrina disappeared down the hallway and the women at the front desk followed, watching as they saw Sabrina making her way down the steps , still following and watching behind her.

Sabrina made it to the music room, lots of familiar faces lined the room, Luke's back was to her because he was already sitting down at the piano.

"LUKE what is all of this?" She questioned walking closer to him but he didn't answer he just started tapping on the keys, appearing to be playing the beginning of a song.

She got close enough to him where she place her hand on his shoulder, letting him know that she was supporting him as much as she could.

He eventually started singing the words:

" If every word I said
Could make you laugh
I'd talk forever"

Sabrina's eyes lit up, and everyone else began to awe. Luke was singing, and playing the piano just for her. It was the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for her.

He kept on playing and kept on singing, seeming so confident in everything, getting a lot of heartfelt reactions from his wife and all the people watching them.

At the end he stopped looking up and Sabrina who was in total awe. "That was really you playing all that for me?" She asked, still incredibly impressed.

"Yeah it was.. what did you think?" Now he turned around facing Sabrina and all the other people who stayed silent watching the interaction between the couple.

"You completely blown me away. I wasn't expecting you to take it upon yourself to learn to play in a few weeks and then put on a performance for me."

"Have I ever disappointed you?."

"No never." She responded nodding too.

"Everybody knew about this?"

"Yes they did! And they all managed to keep it a surprise, and look we managed to pull it all off. It looks like I won the bet." Luke raised his brow declaring victory.

Luke did win their bet, and that night they went down to the local music store and Sabrina helped Luke pick out a piano. This was a great treat especially after everything they've been through.

The next day..

Calum agreed to help out Luke with bringing it back to the house. Calum had a delivery truck handy and since he was now on good terms with Luke he had no problem in helping him out.

"Thanks again, Calum." Luke thanked Calum as they pulled into the driveway of Luke's house.

The two of them got out of the truck opening the back end of it, prepared to start moving the piano out out of the truck and into the house.

"I'll go into the truck and start pushing and you stay at the bottom of the incline and pull." Luke climbed into the truck beginning to push forward and Calum grabbed onto the other end of it pulling it making sure it didn't fall on top of him.

After a few minutes they managed to get the piano out of the truck, Calum stopped briefly stretching out his arms and fingers so they wouldn't cramp up.
"Ready?" Luke asked a couple of seconds later and they gripped opposite ends of the piano, shaking as they tried to maintain a grip long enough to get it up and over the couple of steps and through the doorway into the house.

Sabrina would've helped but she was doing some office work at the shelter and it was too important for her to leave, leaving Calum and Luke to do this themselves.

After a few minutes they managed to get it through the front doorway trying to be extra careful not to scratch the hardwood floors.
The two of them pushed it far enough in making sure there was enough room to shut the door.

Luke stopped breathing heavily, Calum didn't notice until Luke had one hand on his forehead mouthing the word "ow" over and over again.

"Luke are you alright?" Calum stopped walking over to Luke placing his hand on his shoulder.

"Yeah I think so, just a bit dizzy and my head hurts." He explained rubbing his head trying to get the pain to stop.

"Take a seat." Calum suggested and he helped him take a seat on the couch. Calum was worried finding Luke a bottle of water and Advil.

Calum watched as Luke took the pain pill, hoping Luke would find relief fast and feel better.

"You're still the same old guy from all those years ago. Always so strong and brave and just keeps on going to you can't anymore."
It was pretty easy to tell when something was up with Luke, he always tried to mask it but it didn't really work.

Calum saw right through him.

Luke was still hunched over on the sofa moving his neck around trying to loosen up.

"Calum, please don't tell Sabrina about this little incident. She's already always so worried about me. She can't know." Luke decided to get serious for a moment to get his point across, Calum agreed to his terms and after a few more minutes of rest they were able to move the piano to the right move.

Calum kept his word that day, not ratting him out, all while Luke continued to suffer from these random sometimes debilitating headaches in silence.

He believed they were migraines based on the frequency, the pain; he looked up remedies online, he would sometimes lay on the completely dark and silence for hours, Place cold cloths on his neck, or sleep.

Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. And he could never let Sabrina know.

But going through all of this at random, made him feel like a failure again. It felt like he was back at square one, kind of like when he was going through all the heart failure stuff.

He just wanted a break for once, he thought after having the transplant everything would just be normal.

Now here he  was again, for the seventh time since the original incident, laying in his dark bedroom hugging Sabrina's pillow while she took her morning shower, he groaned just wanting the thumping pains on his temple to cease.

Sabrina came out of the shower moments later, seeing Luke still turned over, hugging the pillow "awe" she whispered tip toeing around the room to grab fresh clothes.

Luke had managed to fall back to sleep, all within a fifteen minute span and it was probably a good thing because sleeping gave him a big relief for a long time.

Sabrina held her clothes in her grip bending over kissing Luke before leaving hoping he would finally be in a better mood than he had been.

"What was going on with him?" Was a question continuously swirling around in her head.