21

"Did I ever tell you about how much I love Christmas?" Sabrina asked trying to wrap popcorn garland around the tree while Luke was on the other side securing the star on the tippy top.

"Yes, about a hundred times already." Luke giggled, delighted to see his girlfriend enjoying herself.

"It makes me really happy that you were released before the holidays. They'll be way more exciting especially with you around." Sabrina explained trying to get the garland to stay in place but it kept falling off at the end.

Luke was watching her not wanting to interfere with her holiday spirit.

"Well it is our first Christmas in this apartment together so it is kind of special in a way. The holidays are so much better especially when you get to spend it with someone you deeply love and care about." Sabrina finished up turning around making eye contact with her boyfriend who was impressed with how the tree came out.

"It feels a lot more homey since you're in it. I love how festive we made it." The two of them stood by each other just looking around seeing how the living room and kitchen were completely decked out in lights and decorations of all variations. It was very festive.

"Every Christmas Eve until I moved out of my parents house me and my sister would bake cookies and decorate them, it was one of my favorite traditions growing up. We've only started doing it again in recent times but it doesn't feel the same. I don't know if it's because we're older but it doesn't feel right." Sabrina painted a picture for Luke and he stood there thinking about Sabrina and her sister Sarah. It made him think about his family and how he wished he had a memory like that to share.

There were still looking around at how well their apartment came out all while reminiscing other things.

"I'm just imagining you and Sarah laughing at each others creations and just having a good time." Sabrina nodded realizing there was one ornament left picking it up off the ground and giving it to Luke.

"What do you want me to do with it?"

"I want you to put it on the tree. I want you to add the final special touch." Luke studied the ornament briefly before taking it from her hand now holding it by a couple of fingers.

"Christmas can be hard for a lot of people, Sabrina." Luke paused waiting to put the ornament on the tree. "What do you mean, Luke?" She questioned, furrowing one of her brows.

"Some people don't have families, don't have friends, don't have any money. Heck, some people were like me on the streets on Christmas Day. You see families walking to and from church laughing and holding each other close or you see them going to have Christmas brunch and you imagine yourself being them. It sucks being cold, and hungry, and alone and you just want to have a connection with someone but everyone just passes you by. A lot of people long for a Christmas miracle, Sabrina." Luke opened up the first Sabrina's ever heard about this. She was now putting all the pieces together realizing the reasons why he acted strangely last Christmas and the one before was because it's a touchy subject for him.

"Oh Luke, I didn't know. The world is so unfair and so cruel." Her demeanor changed, letting out a small frown with a sparkle in her eyes. Luke tried to focus more on the tree than at her because he didn't want to upset her.

"Granted I was only on the streets for a year and half but still, it was so awful especially during the holidays. All I ever wanted on the Christmas I spent out there was a hot meal and a blanket. Meanwhile I felt like I was being tortured watching people go by showing off their new gifts. It's horrible." Sabrina's heart broke hearing all this feeling bad for pushing all the festivities on him at once.