34 - the finale

It was down to the final few weeks of class and Luke was stressed, cramming in as much studying and as much practical work as he could.

He wanted this more than anything else and Sabrina helped him out as much as she could and Luke did the same by keeping watch of Elliot as he quietly studied in the office.

"Sabrina can you come here please?" Luke shouted from his seat and Sabrina came worried that something was wrong.

"What's the matter?" She was all startled and Luke reassured her that there was nothing wrong.

" I do need your help though.. I need to practice taking vitals for the final exam." He explained motioning for Sabrina to take a seat in the chair bedside him at the desk.

Luke had a bunch of stuff on the desk in front of him along with a pen and paper.

"Again, seeing this side of you shocks me every time. You just turn into this hero and it amazes me." She complimented and Luke blushed.

"In any emergency we have to asses the situation at hand, but when that's all over and we stabilize the situation we have to go over vital signs. Those are important." Luke got into character, Sabrina nodding at his words.

"First I have to check your pulse and respiration can you extend your arm for me, please?" He asked, Sabrina extending one of her arms and Luke took two fingers finding a pulse in her wrist and once he was able to feel it he look at his watch timing it, writing it down on a log.

"How was that?" Sabrina asked curious on the assessment so far.

"Pretty good. Your resting heart rate is fine. Your respiration is fine too. Next, I'm going to take your blood pressure with one of those manual machines not like at the doctor where it's all automatic and digital." He explained maneuvering the machine to the edge of the desk taking the cuff and fastening it around Sabrina's upper arm.

He started squeezing it making the cuff inflate until it got as tight is it can go releasing it seeing the relief on Sabrina's face.

Luke scribbled the information onto the paper.

"Was it high?"

Luke nodded, "slightly, but it's not a big deal."

He went onto the last part of his assessment which was temperate and he grabbed the thermometer pulling off the cap turning it on, "I actually hate these kinds of thermometers but they say it's the most accurate, it goes under your tongue." He explained and place it into Sabrina's mouth making sure it didn't fall out, waiting until it beeped.

He took it out reading the small screen.

"It's 98.3, completely normal." He logged that last piece of information.

"Thank you for letting me do all this stuff on you I know I have bothered you a lot but the more practice the better and the more I learn." Luke was thankful for such a supportive wife.

He just always wanted her to know that he  appreciated her no matter what.

"It's not a problem. You have come so far in this journey and I'm so proud of you."

She was right, Luke has come along way and had worked really hard, all he needed to do was pass the final and then he would be certified — Sabrina had no idea what would happen if he didn't pass this test.

••

It was the day of Elliot's surgery and Luke was up half the night worried for his son, it's not like it was major surgery but he was so little so it was still a big deal.

Luke didn't want to let go of Elliot he got him changed and ready to go, he put him in his car seat, he even carried his car seat into the children's hospital.