Chapter Eighteen~Shadowvaper

A twig snapped under the weight of my foot and I Sophie twitch. She looked at me with wide eyes and then looked at the twig I stepped on.

She breathed a sigh of relief.

"It's just a twig," I reassured her, she nodded and we continued forwards. Tam was right, this forest was beyond creepy. Heck, this is whole rescue operation and letter leaf thing was creepy.

"Biana," Sophie whispered, shaking my arm and pointing to the ground, "Biana, look."

There was a puddle of dried ink on the ground, "That's not ink, is it?" I said quietly.

"No, it's not," Sophie said softly, "That's Tam's shadowvaper."

"Believe me now?" I said, trying for a laugh, but my voice just would make the sound. I leaned in closer, and saw something that took my breath away. The ink... Was in the shape of an eye.

"S-sop-sophie," I stuttered, my heart racing in my chest.

"Biana what-Oh my—" She shoved a hand through her hair, and started to back up, as if the shadowvaper was a poison she couldn't touch, "No. They... They have him," She said.

I could barely speak. Barely breathe.

No. No. No. No. The world seemed to spin, I felt so dizzy. I wanted to pass out. Suddenly I felt someone's hand on my shoulder.

"Biana! Biana are you okay?" It was Sophie's voice. But she seemed so far away. Tears blinded my vision, I could barely see her golden blonde hair in the faint light.

"I-I-No-" I whispered, "Not okay-Tam-He's-He's..."

"Gone," Sophie finished for me.

All of sudden I felt a white hot flash of anger, "Gone? What do you mean gone?" I snapped.

"Whoa, Biana, I wasn't saying... What you think I was saying. No, Tam isn't gone, he's just... Kidnapped, that's all."

"THAT'S ALL?!" I was shouting now.

"SH!" Sophie shushed me, "We have no idea what's out here!" She hissed.

"TAM GET'S TAKEN BY THE NEVERSEEN AND YOU SAY 'THAT'S ALL'?!"

"I didn't mean it like that Biana, I swear! Just please, quiet down! Please!" She begged. I shoved her out of the way, causing to trip over a loose stone and fall down. Serves her right.

"You don't care about him, do you?" I whispered suddenly.

"What no, I—"

"I'm leaving," I snapped, "I'll find my own way home," I clenched my fists, walking off into the woods, and leaving a stunned Sophie behind me.