Chapter Twenty~London

I was out on the streets of London, an obscurer in my right hand, my bloody wrists bound with chins that my teacher held. They were chains strong enough to dull your power, as I had painfully found out when I tried to use shadowvaper to escape.

"I thought you said you knew where he was?" She demanded.

"Well, I don't exactly know.. But I have an idea," I mumbled.

She scoffed, "Your little idea could get Miss Vacker killed."

I swallowed down bile at the thought of her, bloody and lying dead.

"Don't touch her," I growled.

"We'll see about that," She laughed. I felt like punching her again. Nothing was stopping me. Just a quick punch to the jaw and I'd go free.

But that's safe to say that she would even let me deliver that punch, and even if I could knock her out, at some point she would wake up. And Biana wouldn't stand a chance.

The streets of London were always crowded, filled with people either running late to work, or itching to get home from work. There was rarely any free passage, and you were always bumping shoulders with someone. Not to mention how bad the air smelled. It made me want to gag each second.

I missed the lost cities.

I miss Linh.

And Biana.

I had taken some backroads through a couple of alleys to avoid some of the traffic, and thankfully, it seemed to be working. But if Keefe wasn't here... No. I can't finish that thought. Keefe had to be here. If he wasn't... Biana would... But maybe it's better if Keefe isn't here. Keefe is needed in the Neverseen's grand plan, and if we can't find him, then maybe...

No. Biana was worth it. But was she worth a thousand lives?

I felt my face turn red with shame. How could I think something like that? Of course she was worth a thousand lives... Wasn't she?

"Are we here yet?" The woman snapped, jolting me out of my thoughts. I nodded soundlessly. We had reached that green door Keefe had delivered some letter to once. Gisela had given the doors whereabouts to me, and all I had to do was pray that Keefe was inside. Or pray that he wasn't. No. Pray he was. She was worth it. She had always been worth it.

I turned off the obscurer and then knocked on the door. Then I quickly turned it back on again. An old man opened the door, and we both slipped inside before he shut it.

The room was dark, and the only source of light was a window stained with dirt, and a couple candles scattered throughout the house. This didn't seem to be the green door that Keefe had delivered to. Maybe Gisela gave the wrong directions? Or maybe the guy moved?

I searched everywhere for Keefe, my anxiety climbing higher and higher with every corner already searched. 

"You better pray that Keefe is in here, tough guy," She said angrily. A terrifying feeling of dread washed over me like a tidal wave.

Keefe wasn't here... He wasn't-

There.

The small edge of an Elven cloak sticking out from a crack in the wall.