Chapter Twenty-Three~Traitor

I was alone. Utterly alone. The darkness felt like it was shallowing me up whole. Anything could happen in the dark. Anything.

Irrational, ridiculous, stupid fears. I've faced much worse than darkness. But everyone's afraid of something. 

I clenched Sophie's home crystal tightly in my hand. The only option I had was to go back home, call for backup, and arrange a rescue team to try and save her-and Tam. And Keefe for that matter.

But what would everyone say when I got back? I could just imagine their tear-stained faces now.

Biana! How could you do this? Biana, why would you do this? Tam's been sending you letters? Stop lying, Biana! Biana, you got Sophie captured, how could you?! Traitor.

Traitor.

Traitor. Traitor. I let the words bounce around in my head. I welcomed them. How could I do this to Sophie. All she ever did was support me, care for me, listen to me. And what did I do in return? What did I do? I betrayed her. And Tam. And everyone.

I feel to my knees, my leggings soaking with mud. I screamed out into the night air, not caring who heard me.

I couldn't save Sophie. And I couldn't save Tam. The only guy I've ever loved. Yes, I've finally admitted that to myself now. Strange how the heart can do that. It always waits just a second too late.

Now he's gone.

Maybe for good.

No. I can't think like that. He's alive. And... And... I'll rescue him. And Sophie. I swear it on every scar from that broken mirror, I swear it on my stupid Vacker legacy, I swear on my life. I will get them back.

I raised the leaping crystal to the light, and glittered away.

I know there wasn't too much action in this chapter, but I promise there will be in the next ones! Stay tuned :DD