Chapter Thirty-Seven~Experiment One, Tam

I watched in horror as Gisela tied Tam's hands with bonds.

"If you want Miss Vacker to make it out alive, you'll climb on that bed," Gisela said. I ran up to him and took his hands in mine.

"Tam—no—please..." I begged. Slowly, gently, he took my face in his.

"I love you, Biana," He whispered. And then he kissed me.

It was like fire and ice—and I was melting and dying and everything was perfect and everything was just—and it was over. Gisela shoved me onto the floor, and she strapped him to the chair.

"PLEASE! STOP!" I begged, tears spilling over my cheeks.

"Quiet!" She snapped, "This won't kill him, but if you say one more word it might 'accidentally' malfunction."

I slammed my mouth shut and let the tears fall to the white marble floors. Gisela pulled out a device and strapped it to Tam's arms, legs, and head. She studied it for a moment.

"This won't hurt—hurt—him—right—?" I asked, even though I already knew the answer.

"And I here I thought you were the smartest one of your little group."

I bit my tongue to keep from sobbing, "Tam—you're gonna be—fine—" I choked. He didn't respond, only closed his eyes. I wanted to scream. Gisela pulled out a small jar and threaded a tube into it, then she jabbed the tube into Tam's arm. Tam didn't move a muscle.

"Let's hope this goes as planned," Gisela smiled, but it made the room feel colder than ice. She pressed the red button on her device, and Tam started to scream.

"STOP!" I shouted, "Stop!" But Gisela didn't even bat an eyelash. She clicked a couple buttons, and Tam started to scream louder, his face was white and tears were falling down his cheeks. Gisela was killing him. And there was nothing I could do but watch the love of my life die for me. I didn't even say I love you back. I didn't even say it—

Suddenly, he started to shake, out of his lips escaped a sob and another flood of tears. I gasped in horror as black liquid poured out from his body, through the tube and into the jar. Gisela was stealing his talent. Removing it.

"Please," I pleaded, my face burning with anger and stinging with tears, "Please."

More black liquid clunked into the jar, and Tam's breath started to become uneven. He stopped screaming. The last of the liquid fell into the jar. I ran to Tam as Gisela stared at the black fluid.

"TAM!" I screamed, wrapping my arms around his body, "Tam..."

I pressed my ear to his heart. It wasn't beating.

"Oh—no—please—no—" I tried to do CPR as best as I could, "Tam, please..."

No response. Tears fell from my face onto his pale cheeks. I wiped them off with my thumb, "Tam..."

All of a sudden, he gasped awake. I threw my arms around his trembling body.

"I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you,"  I whispered endlessly in his ear. He wrapped his shaky arms around my body, and then slowly wiped the tears from my cheeks. He turned to look at the jar full of his talent. He covered his face with his hands and started to sob.