Chapter 3 (New Challenge)

Anastasia decides to wait until Paul returns home and give this cheque to him

Anastasia decides to wait until Paul returns home and give this cheque to him. She doesn't know what is she supposed to do with it, she just couldn't understand it. Paul would know to make a better use of it than her.

But how is she going to explain it to him makes her a little hesitant. She knows he would never like her last minute decision to help that guy. If she hide something from Paul, it would only lead to punishment.

Shaking her head to get ride of her thoughts for now, she gets ready to start the day. Paul does not return by the time she was ready to go to school but she makes sure to make his breakfast and store it in the fridge.

She isn't feeling a bit of hungry, that's why she doesn't eat her single loaf of bread as in her breakfast, the only thing she's allowed to eat due to set of certain rules of Paul. She isn't allowed to have lunch at school too and she was just too afraid from Paul to break these rules.

Anastasia takes her school bag and makes her way out of the house through the back door. After locking the door, she starts her half an hour journey to school.

Anastasia has tried hard to keep her school grades up. Paul wants nothing but straight A's. She have always find it hard to keep up with everything, from taking care of Paul and their house to her work and to her studies.

Anastasia would never confess it out loud but she wants to rest. She have grown really tired and she wants a little rest from this busy schedule. She can't help but get jealous everytime by seeing girls around her age living their perfect life and here she is barely surviving each day. Abuse whether it is physical or emotional, it has drains her completely.

Just as she is busy thinking these things, her eyes falls on that same homeless man she passes everyday on the way to her school. He is curled up in the dark corner, his sad eyes watches passerbys. His old, frail body shivers continuously.

Anastasia stops in her tracks and stares at him. Her heart clenches. Here she was crying and complaining about her problems and there's this old man who have no roof, no food.

He looks up at Anastasia as she crouches down in front of him and places that piece of bread that was supposed to be her breakfast of day. He stares at her as she places a piece of paper in front of him too.

He squints his eyes to look clearly. They grow wide in shock and his head snaps at her but she's already walking away.

Tears of joy rolls down his eyes as he hugs the paper and continuously stares gratefully at the girl's back until she completely walks away from his sight.

Anastasia thought that it might be some another normal day at school but she fills with shock when she's called in Principal office.

Her heart races and her brain makes several theories, none of them were good, she was scared that she was in some trouble but as she stands in front of her school principal and his wide smile greets her, Anastasia understands that things are going to take a wild turn for some reason.

"Sit sit sit Anastasia." Marco chirps happily.

He passes a file to her. Anastasia looks up at him confused. The whole ordeal confuses her like no end but she's too helpless to even open her mouth to ask for answers.

"Take a look at it." He ushers her to read.

Anastasia's heart fills with dreads for some reason just by looking at the word 'transfer' that is written in bold letters in the first line.

"I am so happy to announce that this time, the St. Mills Royal High School, one of the most prestigious school of this country have selected our school to transfer one of our student, giving them a chance to continue their study free of cost in their school. We recommended top 10 students names from different grades and miraculously your name is the one to get selected."

Anastasia continues to stare at him with a lost puppy look on her face as he tries hard to not to dance on his seat.

"You know Anastasia, this is the first time ever our school's name has been given this chance in the past 30 years. Might if I add there was a list of 1250 public and private schools in this whole country who participate in this program every year. Getting selected from all of them is just your pure luck." Now Anastasia understands one of the reason of his absolute happiness. He was nonetheless proud of winning this 'self-proclaimed' competition between schools.

"I have already talked to your father." This catches Anastasia's attention.

"He doesn't have any problem with the changes. He seems proud of you." He grins like a cherish cat and taps his fingers on his table.

"You can remain this file here. On your way out, make sure to pick your new uniform and other things from the Secretary. She will explain the rest of everything that you need to know. And Anastasia, make us proud and enjoy."