Chapter 22 {Hurt-Comfort}

"Hmm. What was your name again?" Hunter looks down at Anastasia who still wants to be anywhere but near him.

He waits and waits for few more moments. His eye twitches when she does not answer. He is about to open his mouth but Zack cheerfully cuts him off.

"It's Anastasia, Hunter. She is Nora's friend."

Anastasia freezes in surprise and then snaps her head to look up at him. Zack's eyes meets hers and he grins.

"Hunter is her brother."

Her eyes widens.

"Tsk." Hunter chimes with annoyance.

"Excuse me sir." They all look back at the nurse standing there. Her cheeks are red and she is looking up at Hunter with a certain gleam in her eyes.

Zack sits beside Anastasia with a huff. His eyes narrows at the nurse as she shamelessly strip Hunter with her gaze.

Anastasia looks up at his face confused. He was cheerful just a moment ago.

"Patient's condition is stabilized for now." Her squeaky words brings tons of relief to Anastasia.

"But-" She adds on quietly making Anastasia tense.

"--it is hardly likely that he will be waking up soon. He's in a comatose state. It might take him some time to recover."

She looks at Anastasia as a quiet sob escapes her lips. Zack glances down at her with concern on his face. She has her hands covering her face and she is crying heavily without any restrain.

Hunter looks down at Anastasia through the corner of his eye. His fists clenches. With her head down, she is crying-- the picture reminds him of his own sister who is also fighting for her life at this very second.

Hunter is highly annoyed and worried. He wants to go and see Nora but looking after Anastasia is his responsibility too until her own family arrives here. They are stuck in fighting just like his own older brothers and two youngest brothers.

"Tsk. Just stop crying alright. It's not the first time Stefano is fighting for his life. So he will pull through it." Hunter tells her.

Zack glares at him making Hunter glare back at him.

"Your comforting skills suck."

"I'm not Damon." Hunter rolls his eyes, his brother Damon coming in front of his mind.

Damon is the only one in their family whose gentleness comes off naturally.

"Hey my sweet bubu. I promise that he will be fine in no time." Zack places his hand on her shoulder while his other hand grabs her chin to gently lift it up.

"Have you ever looked at yourself in the mirror? Because you are one of the most gorgeous girl I have ever seen in my life. These tears are precious like crystals. Don't waste them."

Anastasia hiccups quietly feeling her tears slowing down a bit.

Suddenly a glass of water enters in front of her vision.

She looks up to see Hunter with a usual annoyed look covering his face.

"Just take it." He grumbles making Zack roll his eyes again.

She shakily grabs it from his hand and takes a small sip. That nurse from earlier is nowhere to be seen now.

"Anastasia." A familiar voice rings out.

Her head snaps up to look at Allesandro followed by Giovanni, walking towards them.

"Ana! I'm so glad to see you fine."

She flinches in fear as he pulls her into a hug. Her body is completely stiff but slowly she starts to relax in his embrace.

Hunter and Zack follows Giovanni to a secluded area.

"How's everything?" Hunter asks in the next second while Zack stands beside him quietly.

"It's all under control now. Is my brother alright?"

Hunter informs him everything the nurse told them earlier.

"I see." Giovanni says and looks in a faraway direction where half of his family are right now.

"I heard about what happened with your sister. I hope she will be ok soon."

Hunter mildly scoffs at that.

"She will be fine, I know."

Giovanni turns to give him a swift look.

"You don't need to hide your worry behind annoyance. We are not just better acquaintances but friends and we certainly don't judge."

Hunter lets out a small hmph but something comes across his mind.

"Why does she looks so scared from Allesandro? I know you found her recently and are still practically stranger to each other but it doesn't feel right. There's more to that, isn't it?"

Giovanni sighs at that and then answers simply..

"She suffered abuse and trauma throughout her whole life she was away."

His blunt remark has the air thickening around them.

"I see." Hunter answers while glancing secretly at Zack who is looking at floor.

"I will take my leave now."

Giovanni nods while speaking.

"Tell William that Adriano agreed for the meeting. Both of us will be present there."

Hunter and Zack walks out of the hospital quietly. As Zack is about to go towards their car, Hunter grabs his hand pausing him.

"That was the past. You are safe now."

Zack looks up at his expressionless face with a small sad smile on his own face.

"I do not worry about my past. I actually forget it completely sometimes, but I feel bad for Anastasia. I suffered abuse for five years and it would have literally fucked up my mind if it wasn't for you stepping in. But Anastasia, she was kidnapped when she was so little and she grew up like that." Zack whispers.

Hunter squeezes his hand before letting it go.

"She's back with her family again. I know she will be fine soon."

Zack smiles, his expressions turned cheerful again.

"That I hope she will."