Chapter 21 (Responsibility to Protect)

"It's endearing. Everything about you is endearing, my sweet little Ana. But you forget that I'm your big brother. So my responsibility to protect you is many times bigger than yours."

With these sentence, he pushes off her and faces the assassins who have gotten closer.

His smile turns into smirk.

Perfect opportunity. That was what he was waiting for.

****************

Anastasia waits with a loud beating hard, she flinches each time a gunshot rings in the air. Her heart thickens with worry.

In her mind, there is not only just 'her brothers are in danger' running. Instead 'her brothers are dangerous too', has made a heavy impact too.

Stefano killed without mercy. He did not care about anyone's live in defence. Anastasia does not want to pay attention to these thoughts but her idle mind is bent on playing games with her.

"Hell!" A loud curse from Stefano gains her attention.

She peeks from the wall. Her eyes widens at the scene that lay in front of her.

Her brother is shot in his side.

"Stefa--" Her concern raised voice dies on her lips as the gunshots starts to ring again.

Stefano does not seem to care about his wound. In spite of it, he looks quite furious.

Those men who stood outside have decided to join the others. Their overwhelming number and no more bullets in his grasp, irks him.

He quietly analyses the whole situation and curses again as another bullet pierces his thigh. His balance stumbles and he falls down on his one knee with a clenched jaw.

Anastasia seeing this, quickly rushes out of her hiding spot. She runs in front of Stefano, who has several guns pointed at him from each direction.

"N-no stop!" She pleads out.

Stefano is shocked to see her upfront and completely exposed to these men as she shields him.

"What the hell i-is wrong with you?! I told you to stay hidden!" Stefano grits his teeth.

Anastasia flinches in shock. She thought back to the second in which she ran here without thinking.

To protect him.

Even her brother was dangerous and a killer. She didn't want him to die.

She could not see him die.

Not just like that.

When she got to know him better.

She knew he worries about her. His words says it all and this really feels good.

Stefano may not seem like it but he's a kind person. To her atleast.

So that's why she was bent on protecting him. She would not watch as someone kills her precious person that she has gotten after long sufferings.

She will protect him again just like last time, even if it means she would have to die.

With her arms out, she pulls him into a hug, freezing him and his furious rant.

"I can't see you die.....I-I don't want to be a burden..."

Her arms tightens around him as she hears those strangers words. One of them speaks for the very first time, otherwise they killed robotically and emotionlessly.

"Boss's new order. Our last mission, Kill the girl and Bastard."

Stefano stilled hearing these words. Even without looking at them, he could see guns pointing at them.