Running

I slammed the door behind me as I stormed out of the office. The few people who were inside were smart enough to stay out of my way.

I grabbed my phone out of my pocket, and called Conner. I was already starting to walk home, when I heard somebody run up behind me.

"Get back to the pack house, now." I heard Jax say in a voice that made me want to drop everything and listen. Oh no, he did not just do that.

"If you think I'm about to fall at your feet, you're wrong." I snapped as I continued walking, not even turning to face him as I spoke.

"I told you to go to the pack house." He growled, the Alpha tone more prominent now. I can't believe him.

I turned around, and slapped him. Almost. He caught my hand inches away from his face, and held it. I tried pulling my hand away to no avail, and let out a frustrated groan. He smirked.

"Let me go, asshole." I demanded, trying to pour as much authority into my voice as possible.

His amused expression disappeared, and his eyes got darker.

"Don't you dare use that tone with me." He said, dangerously calm. But I wasn't intimidated.

"So you don't like it too." I said as I ripped my arm from his grasp. Conner finally showed up in the car.

I trudged over to the car and got in, ignoring Conner's questioning look, and Jax's glare.

"Take me home." I grumbled.

~~~~

"What happened?" Conner asked as we pulled into the driveway.

"The idiot thinks he can pull rank on me." I replied, and his eyes widened. Him and the rest of the family knew how well I deal with authority. Which isn't very well. But obviously, Jax didn't know that.

Conner said nothing the entire ride home, not wanting to upset me even further. Smart. The only time when he talked to me was as we were pulling into our driveway when he asked

After explaining the story to my family, I jogged upstairs, and locked myself in my room. I needed alone time.

My silence was interrupted by the sound of my phone ringing. I checked the phone screen, and saw that it was Maddi.

"What's up, Maddi?" I asked as I picked up the phone.

"Oh, just the usual. Jax breaking things and lashing out at random pack members because his mate ran away. Like I said, the usual." Maddi said casually.

" He can deal with his own anger problems." I replied, honestly not caring about him. I heard a few snickers and a loud crack in the background. So I'm on speaker phone. And he's listening.

"Will you come back, he needs some help with the whole anger thing." Maddi pleaded.

"He's a big boy, he can deal with his own problems." I quipped. Another crack with suppressed laughs. Good to know I have an audience.

"Just come back."

"He'll have to kidnap me and lock me in a room." Then I heard a door open and close. Either he left the room to try and cool down, or I gave him an idea. And knowing Jax, I had just given him an idea.

"Dammit!" I cursed.

"Yeah, great job. You gave him an idea." Maddi said sassily.

"But you know that my mental filter doesn't always work!" I exclaimed.

"I'll see you in a bit." She replied before hanging up. Well I'm done for.

Not much later, I saw Jax's car pull up into the driveway, and when he got out of it, he was fuming. I decided that now was the perfect time for action.

You see, sometimes, I like to sneak out, and I have a ladder in my bedroom. The doorbell rang, and I knew I didn't have much time.

Of course my window decides that now is a good time to be stubborn. As soon as my window opens, I hear footsteps making their way up the stairs. This is going to be a close one.

My ladder drops down without a hitch, and I start to climb down. About three seconds later, I hear Jax enter my room, followed by a deep growl.

Jax's POV

All she is doing now, is fueling my anger. Running away from an Alpha once and living to tell the tale is a miracle, but twice? She's lucky I'm her mate.

Surround the woods around the Smith residence, and the roads, too. Don't let her escape. I told my pack through the mind link. I'm not letting her go, this time. I already have permission for her to stay with me.

I followed her down the ladder, and saw her hair trailing after her as she ran into the forest.

Dani's POV

I ran into the woods, only to be pinned by a large white wolf with a black ring around his right eye. I tried wriggling out of the wolf's grasp, but it just laid down on top of me.

We stayed like that for a bit, until the wolf got off me. I stood up, and tried to run, but I was spun around.

I looked up to see an infuriated Jax. Yay. I tried to turn and leave again, but he threw me over his shoulder, and started walking deeper into the woods.

"Thanks for the idea, by the way." Jax said, breaking the silence.

"Honestly, I thought you wouldn't be smart enough to understand, but I see you got some help." I replied. The wolf trailing behind us snorted.

Jax was quiet the entire walk to the pack house, and he didn't even set me down once we were inside.

"Where are we going?" I mumbled into his back. He chuckled and said:

"My room."

"So that you can keep me prisoner? " I asked.

"Until you willingly agree to stay here." He replied. We made it to his room quickly.

As soon as me were in the room, he shut the door, and set me on the bed. After a bit of rummaging through one of his drawers, he pulled out a pair of handcuffs.

"Why do you have those in your room?" I asked, cringing.

"For rouges. Not for that reason, but they can be if you want them to." He said with a wink.

"EW NO!" I shreiked, causing him to laugh. What he used the handcuffs for next, left me fuming. He handcuffed one of my hands to the headboard, and then left. Locking the door from the outside.

•••

And just when you thought Jax wasn't being a jerk again...

-Typewriter