Pro Pep Talking

In that moment, something in me clicked. I don't know if it was my Luna instincts, my natural protectiveness over children, or that my wolf and I were finally in total agreement, but I could feel my wolf showing through my eyes as a loud growl ripped out of my chest.

"Did you not even try to track them?" I growled out, standing up from my spot on the floor.

"We did, but we lost the trail. Our best tracker got left behind during the attack, and other than him, Alpha Jax is the best tracker." He nervously explained. I heard Jax get up off of the sofa, and he wrapped an arm around my shoulder.

"Where did you lose the trail?"

"At the campsite."

I stopped for a second. The campsite was just a day away from the old pack house, and nagging in the back of my mind, I suspected who did it.

"Let's go. Bring everybody left who can fight, and contact Michael, that alpha I had a meeting with the other day. Tell him that it's an emergency." Jax ordered before barging out the door.

"Let's get a head start." I suggested, shifting with total disregard for my clothes.

Jax nodded and shifted as well, his huge black wolf next to me in seconds.

"If this ends up being what we really think it is, I wanna help with Coulson." I mind-linked Jax, nudging his shoulder with my nose.

"The way you can help is when we find the children, you can stay with them." He replied, and I huffed. Knowing that he wasn't going to budge, I took off towards the campsite.

We reached the campsite without many complications, and we quickly noticed the paw prints that littered the ground around us. With the recent rain, it meant that they were fairly new.

"Picking up anything strange?" I asked Jax, who was sniffing the ground with a concentrated look.

"The scent was dulled a bit by the mud, but it's definetly Coulson's guys." He responded.

"And you found a trail, right?"

"Yeah, but you're not gonna like it."

"I want a shot at Alpha Douchebag."

"No."

"Yes!"

"I said no."

"And I said yes!"

"I'm not having this argument with you."

"You already are."

  In the middle of our argument, Luke, who was now back apparently, burst through the trees with an army of wolves on his tail.

"Heya, Luke, got any idea on how we're gonna beat up superwolves?" I asked in an inappropriately positive voice, and he rolled his eyes.

"We'll be able to do it." He replied, a stoic expression on his wolf face. Well, they're gonna need some kind of pep talk.

"Alright, boys! I know I seem a bit positive for our situation, but I could seriously slap a bitch right now. Anyway, be careful, don't get yourself killed." I announced, turning around and facing Jax.

"Wow, I'm super inspired. Do you make pep talks for a living?" Jax quipped.

"Buddy, I haven't even finished highschool." I said, and he let out a quiet snort before following the scent and leading us out of the clearing.

We were making slow progress, and it took me less than half an hour to remember how boring running through the woods is. It's just leaves, leaves, and more leaves.

But the boring scenery was nothing compared to the feeling of dread that was building up on my gut. With every few steps, I was reminded of what happened to our home. The night was a blur, and all I really remember is what I felt-confusion and worry.

Only just then did I realise how we were all in some form of denial. Sure, sometimes Jax broke down a bit, and we all did, but not until now were we facing the cold, hard truth. Our home is in ruins, and all of our families are most likely dead or imprisoned and tortured in some sort of way. Even though I've had no personal contact with this Coulson dude, I know that he's cruel, just from Seth's  stories. Experimenting on a human, injecting them with weird chemicals and odd serums, all without consent, is something that only a person with no feelings would do.

Best case scenario, my family has been tested on and experimented with, and are all still alive. But I know it isn't probable. If I can't save my family, then I at least want to save the children. If I can't make it through this battle, then I'm at least going down with a fight. If it comes down to a choice between my life, or a pack member's life, I will always choose them. The reason I'm not scared, is because I'm prepared to die.

Nothing matters to me anymore except for Jax, Maddi, and my family. We were on our way towards the man who took everything from my pack and myself, and if my death is what it takes to destroy the alpha bastard, then that is the price that I'll pay.

"That's a dangerous line you're crossing, Dani." Jax warned, and I rolled my eyes. I knew he was prepared to make the same sacrafices that I was, and here he was warning me not to do it.

"How close are we?" I asked, completely disregarding his warning.

"Judging by the scent, I'd say a couple minutes." He replied, just as we made it to another empty clearing. I took a few glances around before stopping at the sight in the middle of the clearing.

A tall, overly muscular man standing next to two trembling children. He held a large shirt and a pair of basketball shorts in his hands. Even though it looked like he was alone, I could smell his people waiting in the trees behind him.

"I would really like to negotiate before we have to fight." Said the psycopath as he offered the clothes. Jax grabbed the stack with his mouth, tossing me the tshirt, and I quickly ducked behind a tree before shifting back and pulling on the shirt.

I stepped out, and I could feel the twisted disgrace eyeing me up and down.

"What do you want, Coulson." I deadpanned, and he let out a loud guffaw, as if I had just told the funniest joke he'd ever heard.

"Oh, you know what I want." He sighed, wiping a fake tear away from his face. "I want your pack to join my cause. It's never too late, especially for a pretty little thing like you." He winked, and Jax pulled me into his side.

"Ah, yes, mates. I forgot. Anyways, I have a deal for you that you might like." He offered, and Jax cut me off before I could shoot him down.

"What is it?"