The Woods

Jax and I were quiet as he ran into the woods. I took in my surroundings as much as I could in the dark of the night. Those bastards weren't brave enough to attack us during the day, so they had waited for the cover of the night.

I had never actually seen our pack warriors fight, all I knew is that they were good.

My train of thought was interrupted by Jax making an abrupt stop. I had to pull on his hair to keep from falling out, and he let out a small growl.

He was walking now, and I could hear the talking and rustling of people. Judging by their scent, they were our pack. I hopped off of Jax, and pushed my way through the bushes until I found them.

"Alpha, Luna, are you okay?" Asked the panicked pack doctor. I calmed him down, telling him that we were all right. Once he had calmed down, I opened the backpack, grabbing a pair of gym shorts and tossing them to Jax.

He took them and went behind a tree, coming out a couple seconds later with them on.

"We need to see what we have." Jax started, taking the backpack from my hands. "We brought extra clothes and money." Luke stepped up next.

"I found the old camping cabin. There were a couple tents and sleeping bags inside." He said. Jax nodded in approval.

Seth just held up four bags with what seemed to be every canned food item we had in the pantry. Xavier was up next. God, I haven't seen him in a long time.

"I have a place where we can rebuild. My uncle owns a giant cabin in Alaska, it won't take us long to get there. Three days max." He announced. Jax thought about that before nodding.

"Is this everybody?" He asked. There were only about twenty people in the clearing.

Everybody was quiet, with solemn looks on their faces.

"Alpha," Spoke a young girl, maybe thirteen or fifteen. "They were slaughtering us. We're lucky to have as many people here as we do." She stepped back, holding her mothers hand.

"Does anybody need to rest?" He asked, and nobody spoke up.

"We start towards the cabin now, then. Lets shift and get going." He ordered, the hard look on his face only softening when his eyes met mine.

I stepped behind a tree, taking off my clothes and putting them in the backpack before shifting. Snow let out a sigh of relief as I stretched my legs. I haven't been in wolf form for a while.

I stepped out from behind the tree, making my way over to Jax. I rubbed my head against his, and he let out a protective growl. I rolled my eyes, and he let out a snort.

Lets go. Jax announced, and we all took off, Xavier leading the way to Alaska. Apparently, other wolves are able to navigate simply by instinct. Instead of being able to know where I'm going, I'm stuck with being awkward and directionally challenged.

We ran through the woods, away from our old pack house, away from the family and friends who we didn't know the fates of. I can only hope that my brothers were at home instead of at the pack house.

The wind rushed through my hair, and my tounge hung slightly outside of my mouth. The sensation of running was bittersweet. It reminded me of goofing off with my brothers in the back yard when we were younger, it reminded me of the days we would spend at the beach, always returning home at the end of the day looking windswept and sunburnt.

I banished the sentimental thoughts from my head, not letting myself get too caught up in feeling bad for myself. I could have been one of the people the other pack slaughtered. I was lucky to have gotten away.

Stop thinking like that, we need to stay positive. Jax reprimanded.

Sorry, just got caught up in my thoughts. I apologized. From then on, I focused on the run. Occasionally we would slow to hunt down a deer or something, but other than that, we ran non stop.

We only came to a halt when it was sunset. We had found an open field just large enough for us to set up camp for the night. We all shifted back, and the people who had the tents on their backs unstrapped.

Collectively, there was about ten tents that could fit three or four people each, which was more than enough. Jax and I got a tent to ourselves.

I took my time before entering our tent, making sure that everybody was settled, and everybody that we had started with was accounted for. Fortunately, nobody was lost on our run, and everything was under control.

I walked past many of the tents, suprised that even with the current events, there was still laughter and pleasant chatter among the pack. This made the walk to my own tent pleasant. My instinct was to feel happy when the pack was.

Even though the pack was pleasant and even somewhat happy, there was an undertone of wariness, fright, and unsureness. Nobody knew what to make of their families, and I think that they were better off in denial, believing that the whole rest of their family was okay.

I unzipped the tent, and my eyes were greeted with a shirtless Jax, cupping his hands around his face in frustration. I zipped the tent and sat behind him, lightly rubbing his shoulder.

"It's not your fault." I consoled, and Jax let out a long sigh.

"But we ran." He replied in a nearly broken voice.

"We chose to ensure the survival of our pack. It was the only thing we could have done." I corrected, now resting my head on his shoulder.

"You're too good to me." He commented, turning around and pulling me into his lap.

"Was that a joke?" I asked, amused. Has he forgotten all of the times I've complained to him every three minutes?

"Not a joke, just the truth."

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

Feel free to comment, vote, and share!

-Typewriter