Challenger

The drive home was a panicked one. Trying not to swerve off of the winding roads while constantly looking over your shoulder is no easy task.

While we knew we were somewhat safe in the car, we couldn't help but be paranoid.

Relief only came once we pulled into the cabin drive way, but the panic around the building immediately set us back on edge. People were bustling about, some pushing and shoving, and some trying to get a closer look at whatever was going on.

Maddi parked the car and we got out, leaving our bags inside. There was a ring of people forming, and you could hear shouts and growls from inside.

"I will destroy you!" Threatened an unfamiliar voice. I heard Jax let out a cold, mocking laugh.

"I'd like to see you try." He taunted. I heard the ripping of clothing, meaning that one of them had shifted. I'd bet anything it was his challenger. While Jax lets his wolf influence his temper often, he has better control over his shift than anybody I know.

I rushed to the group, pushing my way to the front.

A peculiar looking muddy brown wolf stalked towards my mate, shoulders hunched, and predatory eyes gleaming with anticipation.

I almost lunged in between them, but Maddi held me back.

Jax looked too calm for the situation that he was in, his posture delivering the message that he would much rather be doing something that was actually entertaining.

The beast leaped, and my world turned to slow motion. Jax cast a bored glance as the wolf soared through the air, it's teeth bared. In one swift movement, Jax's hands were around the challenger's neck. The crowd gasped as the echo of the snapping of bone rang through the clearing.

The dead body landed with a sickening thunk.

Jax looked at me with emotions that I could not comprehend. I tried our mate link, but everything was so jumbled together that I couldn't tell if they were my feelings or his. I walked up to him, pulling him from the prying eyes of the crowd and somehow managing to get him to a somewhat private place, the back porch.

"Are you okay?" I asked, my voice barley above a whisper. His lips pressed into a thin line, and he led me inside, never letting go of my hand.

"That is a very broad question." He replied, evading the question as we walked up the stairs.

"I know that you're okay physically, but I meant to ask if you're okay in there." I said, tapping his forehead.

"I'm fine." He lied as he opened our bedroom door.

"What did he say to you?" I tried, referring to the wolf he had just killed.

"Am I a good Alpha?" Jax asked quietly. I paused for a moment. Where is he getting the idea that he's a bad one?

"Of course you are, the pack loves you, I love you." I comforted. I looked to him and he grabbed both of my hands.

"You're the best, you know that?" He smiled, and I smiled back.

"Why do you think that you're doing a bad job as Alpha?" I questioned, concern lacing my voice

"While the women are taking our current situation well, the guys aren't. Myself included. When my father handed over the pack, he told me to keep it safe, and now I don't even know if most of the members are alive." He confessed, looking to the floor in shame.

"This is not your fault." I declared. "This is nobody's fault but the bastards who attacked us in the middle of the night and slaughtered innocent people."

"But if I had stayed-"

"If you had stayed then you would have died with the rest of them!"

"You don't know that."

"I might not know that, but I'm pretty damn sure. But one thing I do know is that you are an amazing alpha, mate, and friend. Just because a strong pack nearly wiped all of us out does not mean that we won't get revenge."

"We're barley scraping by, Dani. Sure, we have money and food, but that doesn't change that only about twenty of the pack members made it out alive."

I sighed. He was right, but there was nothing that he or anybody else could have done to put off that pack.

"The warriors are restless, they feel like cowards, and I even heard some discussing going rouge." Jax said, painful emotion shining in his eyes. "I've lost so much, and I'm lucky that I haven't lost you."

"Am I back on house arrest?" I joked. Jax looked at me before saying something.

"I don't want you to leave the property without supervision." He compromised. I gave him a pointed look.

"It's less than last time!" He protested. I playfully rolled my eyes and hugged him.

"Whatever." I shrugged. I'm just going to have to sneak out. Jax's hold on me tightened. Oh crap, he heard that.

"You're cute." He smiled down at me. I gave him a confused look.

"You think I'll let you get away this time." He laughed.

"You underestimate my ninja skills!" I exclaimed, punching him on the shoulder.

"My shoulder!" He cried out, falling back on the bed.

"I am the ultimate ninja!" I yelled, taking a ninja-like stance.

"Shut up!" Maddi yelled from the other room. I jumped on the bed beside Jax laughing.

I looked at him, and he was just smiling at the ceiling.

"When I'm with you all that pain goes away, y'know?"

*

*

*

*

Oh, would you look at that, an update!

-Typewriter