Out Of The Loop

"Who are these idiots?" I yelled, slamming my hand on the table. I received a few wary looks from passing pack members, but nobody in the office answered my question.

Jax had left on 'diplomatic business' as he called it. Basically, he went to secure allies for our eventual fight with the pack who kicked us out of our home, and left me in charge, as Luke is on vacation indefinetly.

"What did they try to take this time?" I asked, adopting a calmer tone.

"They tried to take out our generators." One of the members reported. I sighed before speaking again.

"I want to post extra protection at our major resources. Extra patrols at our generators, the greenhouse, and the water pumps. We need our resources to survive out here. Meeting dismissed." I ordered, walking out of the room before anybody could talk to me.

Before meeting Jax, my boyfriend being gone wouldn't have this much of an effect on me. But, due to the whole mate thing, him being gone has left me extremely irritated.

I opened my bedroom door and slammed it as I walked in, launching myself onto my bed. I clung to the pillows like my life depended on it.

Jax's POV●

The only thing more tiresome than taking the world's most boring class taught by the world's most boring teacher is making allies with other packs. The treaties take forever to make, and people always freak out over the most minor details. I don't know how anybody is able to do this job for long.

"I will not send three-quarters of my warriors to help in battle!" Argued Michael, a mateless alpha from a nearby pack.

"It's what you agreed on ten minutes ago!" I argued back.

"I'm sure I didn't agree to something that unreasonable." He protested.

"Would you please just sign the treaty." I groaned, and he gave me a reluctant look before picking up the pen. He looked at me once again before lowering the pen to the paper and signing the treaty.

"If you need us to fight with you, just call." He promised, handing me the treaty.

Thank god I have this over and done with.

"I will." I smiled, offering my hand to shake, which he took. After a couple goodbyes and small parting laughs, I made it out of their pack house much earlier than I had expected to. Normally, my father would be out for days when it came to discussing treaties, but that was mainly because he liked to hang around and have a few beers in celebration.

But unlike my father, I was headed straight back home.

-Dani's POV-

During my time I spent laying in bed and contemplating the meaninglessness of existence, I realized that my birthday was only in a couple days.

So here I was, about to become a legal adult, and I had no idea where my family was and if they were okay. At the same time, yet another pack is trying to wipe us out, and we still haven't really done anything about the pack who had tried that in the first place.

I'm suprised at how many people we have with us now, and that nobody has gone rogue yet. Then again, it's not like I would know if they did. Most of my time is either spent working, with Jax, or sulking by myself. Just yesterday I found out that Seth's mate is a month into her pregnancy!

Normally, when I was feeling like this much of a loser, Maddi would be the one I would talk to, and she would convince me to do something crazy with her. But now, she's gone, and my only outlet to anything outside of Jax and sulking is, too.

I would give anything to have her back, to have someone to spar with, laugh with, and do stupid stuff with.

Was there anything I could have done to help her, or was there nothing I could do? She threw herself at those wolves to try and buy me time, like my life is somehow more important than her own.

The tears on my cheeks brought me back to reality, and I laughed at myself. I could just imagine her yelling at me to get up, to stop crying and hugging a pillow.

So, listening to the imaginary Maddi in my head, I wiped my tears away and left my room, looking for something to do.

My destination was the greenhouse, where we grew food because buying it cost money, which is something we're extremely tight on right now.

"How's it going, Finn?" I asked, and he turned around to look at me. Finn was the head landscaper back at the old pack house, but now he put his talent for keeping plants green into farming.

"Pretty good, we should be having a big harvest soon." He said brightly, gesturing to the rows upon rows of produce plants.

"Anything I can help with?" I inquired, turning to get a better look at all of his plants. He gave me a sympathetic look before scratching the back of his neck, like he was thinking.

"I'm pretty sure that there are a few tomato plants that are ready to be picked." He replied. "Wanna get a basket and help me out with them?"

"Yeah." I agreed, grabbing two baskets and handing one to him.

The tomatoes were all the way at the back of the greenhouse(and it was a pretty huge greenhouse), and I walked down slowly, looking at all of the plants as I passed by. Soon I found myself removing my jacket due to the heat of the greenhouse.

Stopping at the tomato plants, we began picking them and putting them in our baskets.

We spent the rest of the day harvesting the ripe plants.

*

*

*

*

30 parts now?? Wow??

Don't forget to comment, vote, and share!

-Typewriter