I Tried. - Chapter Twenty Three

When the whole team was sitting outside the hotel, waiting for the van to the airport, Ashley came to sit next to me. I was acting busy, on my phone, where actually I was only texting back and fourth with Alex. He was not coming back to school anytime soon though. It broke my heart that he couldn't even play soccer if he didn't recover, and soccer was his life. Ever since we were both old enough run, we had started playing soccer. It's completely unfair that the world had to take what he loved most.

"Taylor..." Ashley started, but I cut her off as soon as she started.

"Save it Ashley, I don't need your made up story," I said, picking up my suitcase

and going to sit by Mason and James.

"Hey," I said, tossing my phone up and down in my hands.

"Why hello stranger," Mason said. James just nodded his head, clearly

engrossed in his video chat with Hailey.

We sat in silence, looking out into the parking lot. Mason and I usually did this. Just sat in silence until someone spoke up, because he didn't talk a lot. We communicated mainly throughout facial expressions, but he was always there when I had to talk.

"You know," he started, turning to face me, "Mark feels really bad about what he did, but it just happened."

"That's complete bullshit and he knows it," I said, not wanting any of his false apologies.

He sighed, and rested his hand on his chin.

"I'm just trying to help," Mason said, still staring out into the parking lot, watching the bus's race past. I know that I should let Mark explain, but he didn't really deserve a chance. I had given all of my effort to him, and that's what I got. He freaking cheated on me. I tried, I really did, to be the perfect girlfriend, but I guess nothing was truly enough to please him.

"I tried," I told Mason as the van arrived. I loaded my bags in the back, steering clear of Mark and Ashley, but that wouldn't last for long because I'd be on a 4 hour plane ride with one of them.

~..~..~..~..~

"Now boarding flight 201 at gate C," the flight attendants voice boomed over the airport intercom. I rolled my carry on bag into the plane with Emily and my parents close behind me. Mark and I had been keeping our distance, but Tiffinay decided to wreck my day even more, if that was possible.

"So how are the two lovers doing?" she asked curiously. Neither of us answered, and Emily just shook her head in sadness. "What?" Tiffinay asked, as I shoved past her into an empty seat in our private plane.

Luckily everyone left me alone, seeing my headphones were on and my family usually knows that if I have headphones on, then i'm not in the best mood.

About halfway into the flight, Carson unexpectedly took the seat next to me. He tapped me on the arm, and I removed my headphones, giving him my attention.

"Can I ask you a question?" Carson asked, his remark being a question itself. I nodded, signaling for him to continue.