Haha, I wish. - Chapter Twenty Four

Alex was sitting upright on the hospital bed when I entered. He had IV's running through his arms which made me cringe. He opened his arms for a hug, and I carefully wrapped my arms around him avoiding all of the wires.

"Alex..." I said breathing out a sign of relief that he hadn't changed, well except for the cancer.

"How's life tater-tot?" he asked, pushing himself up so he was facing me.

"Pretty sucky," I said, laughing at his ridiculous nickname for me.

"And why is that?"

"Well..." I started, hesitating to tell him about Mark.

"Mark sort of cheated on me at the banquet."

Alex's face turned furious and his back stiffened.

"With who?!" he asked, raising his voice.

"Ashley," I said, hanging my head.

The room was filled with silence, but I could tell Alex was heated. His grey eyes were darker than normal, and he kept clenching and releasing his fists.

"He didn't deserve you Taylor," Alex said quietly.

"That is all people have been telling me lately," I replied, not sure what to think.

This time Alex did something I didn't think he would do. He intertwined his fingers with mine and kissed my forehead. I sat dazed, not sure why he just did that.

"Let me ask you a question Taylor, do you still love him?" he asked.

I honestly didn't know. Mark truthfully meant everything to me and it felt as if I had lost everything. I was probably being an emotional girl but this is something that I wasn't used to feeling. Nostalgia hit me harder than expected.

"I don't know," I mumbled, looking out the window.

Alex sighed, clearly done with dealing with me. He released my hand

I looked away from him as the door opened revealing my mom and Alex's standing there.

I got up to leave, but Alex grabbed my hand.

"Look Taylor, i'm sorry this happened to you-"

"It's fine," I said in a hushed tone, "Just let it go."

And with that I walked out of the hospital room.

~..~..~..~..~

"Why did you go to visit Alex in the first place?" Emily asked, stretched out across my bed. I groaned, walking into the bathroom to brush my teeth. Emily was staying the night because it was Saturday and we had our last scrimmage tomorrow morning.