Chocolate Covered Strawberries - Chapter Four

My first instinct was to run.

My second instinct was to defend myself.

My third instinct was to stay where I was.

And the third one was working.

I was starting to breathe heavy and go into a panic attack, when I automatically knew who it was.

"Mark, I hate you," I said throwing a pillow backwards.

"Hey I didn't do anything!" He said, siting in the chair next to my bed.

I rolled over to face him and glared.
"I thought friends were supposed to buy each other chocolate and hang out together, NOT at 3:00 in the morning,"
I said, still wanting to scare him.

Honestly he did this all the time, we always hung out, but never alone. It was always with the team, or the guys.

"So why are you here?" I asked.

"Well I couldn't sleep, I had a few questions for you, and I bought chocolate covered strawberrys." he held up a bag with a blanket. I stared at him, still confused but pulled the blankets off of me and joined him on the windowsill where he was setting up the cliché picnic in the moonlight.

I was still pretty angry with Mark, but the strawberrys made up for it. They were juicy and perfectly ripe. I didn't know how he knew they were my favorite, but I didn't ask.

"So I'm still wondering why you're at my house, at 3:30 in the morning," I said, taking the last strawberry.

"Well, I was thinking about that moron Blake, and Paisley dumped me for Blake, and how I made a promise to myself when I stopped dating her," he said.

"Well.. Are you going tell me that promise?" I asked, finding myself caring.

"Well okay." he said. "I said that I was going to find an amazing girl one day, but If I had to wait, I would. I would not date someone like paisley ever again." he sighed and leaned back on the window.

"Well unfortunately, there are a lot more girls like Paisley in this world. People that are brainless, heartless. People that are like bombs, wating for the right moment, to blow up in your face." I said getting up, but he grabbed my arm. His touch sent me millions of miles away, like it was a shooting star that was new in the galaxy.

"I shared my promise with you," he said softly. "Now share one with me."

"No, no that was NOT the deal." I said moving towards the bed feeling my walls build back up, but again Mark pulled me back. I reluctantly sat back down in front of him.

"Okay, but you can't tell anyone." I said. He promised and I took a breath.

"When Dillion got here, I thought I liked him. He was athletic, Nice, and really cute. But when I saw how he was stuck up, and he was making fun of your goalie skills, it hurt me. It hurt that he would dare make fun of one of my friends. And that's all," I said the silence settling in the dark.

"I'm glad you told me that, and I would never share something that special.
I should probably go now, but can I use some paper and a pen to write a note to my dad first?" He asked, already searching for them. "Yeah I'll get them." I said grabbing a pen and a piece of paper from my desk. I laid back down in my bed as I watched Mark write the note. I couldn't see what it said, but I saw him sign his name before I put my head down to sleep.

"Bye Taylor," he whispered and was gone.

The next morning, Carson woke me up with eggs.

"Do you want to go on the boat with some of your team?" Carson asked hopefully. I thought about it and said yes. I got dressed in a purple and white bikini with a purple  cover up dress. I pulled my hair out of my face with a silver headband and grabbed a towel. When I was putting in my flip flops, I saw a note on my desk. It read,
"Dear Taylor Josephine Bryce,
I couldn't ask you when I was here last night because I would have passed out,
But will you go to the dance with me?
( I really hope it's a yes because Emily told me everything :)
From you know who
-Mark