Starting Over - Chapter Thirty Three

"Mascara Tiffinay!" I yelled, frantically searching my drawers of soccer bows and hair ties to find the mascara. She bolted into my room with her purple bottle, throwing it at me, and running back out my door. It was Christmas eve, which meant a traditional Christmas eve dinner with a few families in our neighborhood. Emily's, Alex's, and Mark's. Luckily, Mark had gone to Paisley's house with his family earlier today, and wouldn't be able to join us until later. 

Now, when it came to Christmas eve dinner, my mom made it more formal than it had to be, but since I lived here, I could pass in dark skinny jeans, black ankle boots, and a red sweater. Unfortunately, my mom did make it a rule that if I was wearing something casual, I had to look presentable. I straightened my hair, and wrapped a piece of red ribbion around my head, tying it in a bow at the top, and of course I had to apply all different kinds of makeup. 

I was forever grateful when I looked good that I could now go downstairs and relax on the couch until people arrived. 

Tiffinay and Carson sat beside me on the couch watching The Polar Express, Until people started arriving. 

Emily was first, in her mint green skirt and floral shirt with pink flats and her hair curled, which was unusual for her. Alex was next with his little brother Morgan and his older sister Lucille. He was wearing a red polo shirt and black jeans. Morgan looked similar to Alex's appearance, except his polo shirt was mint green. Lucille wore a maroon dress with a gold heart necklace. Her blonde hair was straightened, and she wore maroon flats that matched her dress. 

Everyone was sat at the table, and the only people that were missing was Mark's family... Thankfully.

We all quietly conversed in various conversations throughout the night, but something felt off when Mark arrived. Alex straightened in his seat and refused to look at anything but his food. Tiffinay's eyes widened and she excused herself to the bathroom.  I looked around at everyone at the table, and my mother gestured for me to get the door. I greeted Mark's parents, Tucker, and Maisey as they walked through the door and into my living room. 

"Taylor," Mark said as I ushered him through the door. 

"Mark," I spat, probably more harshly than I had to. 

He shot me a dirty glare and proceeded to sit down at the table. I re-took my seat next to Alex, and we continued our conversation completely avoiding Mark.  

"Time for presents!" my mother yelled, and we all got up from the table and made our way into the living room, where the tree was. Alex, Tiffinay, Morgan, and I had all picked out was lit up and colorful. The room still smell faintly of cookies, as we had attempted to bake cookies earlier. 

Emily and I took our seats on the couch, and everyone surrounded us. Mark and Alex stayed out of each others way, until it was time for them to both exchange gifts with me. The stood side by side and held out the red and silver present boxes. I slowly took them at the same time and Emily helped me open them. 

Mark's gift to me was new Nike headbands and a new soccer ball. I thankfully excepted the gifts and set them aside with my others, and Mark walked back to his family. 

I smiled as Alex handed his gift to me and unwrapped it. Inside was a white box that I opened revealing a silver soccer ball necklace and two charms ; one of my number 11 and one of a red ruby, the same color of our team. I grinned and hugged Alex.

"Thank you," I whispered, and he nodded. 

~..~..~..~..~

The rest of the night went smoother as expected. All of the kids watched Elf in the Media room while the parents watched some adult movie downstairs. I got bored of the movie halfway through, and decided to fall asleep on Alex shoulder. 

When I woke up the next morning, Tiffinay was shaking my shoulders and Emily stood behind her laughing. I groaned, pushing her off, to see that my fingers were still enter-twined with Alex's. I rolled my eyes and flicked him on the head waking him up. His eyes shot open, and his eyes settled on me in a glare. 

"I'm going to get you for that Taylor," he said, slowly getting up from his chair. 

"No way!" I yelled, already sprinting out of the room. 

He successfully chased me all the way around the kitchen, before I slammed into Carson who was walking to the counter, holding a glass of orange juice, that was now spilled all over both of us. 

"Taylor!" Carson yelled, chasing me back up the stairs. 

I groaned, slamming the door to my room and changing into black capri yoga pants with our schools name on the side, and a red soccer tournament shirt from a few years ago. 

I ran down the stairs to see everyone already opening presents. Mark sat off to the side in sweatpants and a tee shirt. His blonde hair covered his face as he looked down at his phone. I mentally rolled my eyes, and went to sit next to him. 

"Hey," I said smiling the most fake smile I could come up with.

He looked up from his phone for a brief seconds, before snapping his head back down to his phone. 

"I want to start over." I said firmly. 

This time he looked up and raised his eyebrows at me. A small smile appeared on his face. 

"Me too,"