Kaede will be gone for the first semester.

I stand in Kaede's driveway, giving the blonde a long, emotional hug before she starts toward the car.

"It'll only be for a few months, Shuichi!"

"I'll call you everyday!"

"Let's hang out as soon as I get back!"

No... It's not enough.

She doesn't understand. I thought she would.

My only friend is leaving me all alone. I know... she can't help it. It's a perfect opportunity. Being able to go with Sayaka Maizono and Ibuki Mioda (other talented musicians) on the "Ultimate Tour" sponsored by Hope's Peak Academy itself... that's something the Ultimate Pianist would never pass up on.

And I'm happy for her. I think.

I feel selfish. Kaede is my friend, not theirs. She should stay with me. I need her. But Kaede thinks otherwise. She thinks I'll be okay without her.

I won't.

Days later I find myself in bed doing a bit of reading when I get a call on my phone. I snatch it up to check the ID, praying that it was Kaede.

Incoming video call: Kaede Akamatsu

Smiling, I pick up the call and greet her. "Kaede!! How are you?"

"Hey Shuichi!!" Kaede's camera is focused on her forehead. I can hear Sayaka's voice in the background, she seems to be practicing some lyrics. I can see a bit of Ibuki's hair; she's screaming something that I can't make out.

Kaede and I talk about how we've been and any changes happening in our lives. It's really deep talk for just a few days without each other. But it's alright. I like deep talk.

"Shuichi, I have something to tell you..." Kaede mumbles, bringing me from my thoughts.

"Really? What is it?" I ask.

"...The tour." she begins. "It's being extended. I'll be gone for the first semester."

I can feel my smile fading. No Shuichi, don't let it fade. You should be supportive. Don't ruin this for her.

I try to encourage her. I really do.

But I can't.

"But what about school?" I say after a few moments of silence. "We were going to walk in on the first day together... heads held high... not worrying about anything but each other..."

"Shuichi-"

"What about Miu? Have you told her yet? Won't she miss you?!" I try to stop myself. Why am I getting mad at Kaede? This isn't her fault. It's mine, it has to be. This is karma. I should've congratulated her from the start.

"What about... what about me?"

"No Shuichi, what about me?" Kaede interrupts me sternly. "This is the opportunity of my dreams. I can't drop it. Trust me, I know how you feel. It's so weird to be doing this without my childhood friend right beside me. I'm scared. But that won't stop me from doing my best at these performances."

Her words pierce right through my argument. What she says... it's the truth.

"As I said before, I'll keep in contact with you. We're best friends, I wouldn't let something like this ruin our friendship. But if I have to tackle something huge without you, it's only fair that you do the same, right? You can still go to Hope's Peak with your head held high. But this time, you have to do it without me. Have more faith in yourself, Shuichi! I know you can do it!"

I let her words sink in as I stared at my wall. Articles, lots of articles. All about the Naegi family.

The perfect family.

My family.

It upsets me. Nobody really knows what's going on in our heads. Nobody understands us. Nobody understands me.

...Kaede does. She understands me.

And I just... snapped at her. My only friend. I shake as the realization hits me. I could've lost her if she wasn't so understanding. I could be alone right now.

"Y-you're right," I manage. "I'm sorry, I was just..."

"Don't apologize, I get it." She gives me one of her signature smiles. That soft smile, the one that can put me at ease in a heartbeat. If the world were filled with smiles like those, I think I'd enjoy life a little bit more.

Smiles like hers... where can I find more of them?