I'm not a good Ultimate.

This is not my favorite chapter... I had no idea what to do with it-

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

"Alright, Shuichi, be on your best behavior." my mother reminds me as we pull into the parking lot of the detective agency.

"I will, mom."

"I know you will. You always are."

My mother, Kyouko Naegi, smiles at me before parking the car and gathering her files. We're at the Future Foundation headquarters for the 3rd week of my internship. Almost every student at Hope's Peak has already started an internship or career that fits their talent. My mom heard about this and instantly recommended for me to work at her agency, and I accepted. This is the best detective agency in Japan, what could be more fitting for my talent?

That's the thing. It fits my talent.

It doesn't fit me at all.

Everyone here is so... smart. They're good at everything. Me, on the other hand? I can't even get out of bed correctly. What am I supposed to do?

The press went crazy when they found out that I was with the Future Foundation now. Every time we visit the building there's always a crowd outside waiting for us, wanting to get a look at the perfect detective and her son. We always smile and wave at them, although we both find it a little weird.

I love my mom. She's my idol. She's great at what she does (unlike me) and she's really kind. I can't imagine a world without her, dad, or Kaede. They're my everything.

"Shuichi? Are you coming?" she asks, staring at me with slight concern. I can't hide anything from her. She's too smart.

"Yeah," I respond, grabbing my things and joining her outside the car. We head inside the building, waving at mom's friends on the way. We pass Aoi Asahina talking with her best friend Sakura Ogami, an angry Byakuya Togami scolding his assistants Touko Fukawa and Yasuhiro Hagakure, and mom's best friend, Celestia Ludenberg, having tea with Kiyotaka Ishimaru.

"Celestia!" my mom calls, waving frantically. The black-haired carefully sets down her teacup and rushes over to hug my mom and I.

"Kyouko! It's been forever!"

"It's been two days."

"Two days too long!"

My mother and her friend continue chatting and I eventually sneak away and head upstairs. There I find a comfortable spot and begin to write away in my journal. This is my usual routine. I wait to be called. I'd rather ask around to see if I can help, but every time I do so I'm turned down. The Future Foundation is always so busy. Well, they know where I am if they need me.

"Hey! It's Mr. Detective!!"

I raise my head at the familiar nickname. "K-Kokichi?! What are you doing here?"

"I'm with my mom," he tells me, pointing at a picture on the wall. The photo shows my mom and Ms. Ludenberg in front of the newly constructed building.

"Your mom is Ms. Ludenberg?" I ask, surprised. "How come I didn't know?!"

"I don't come here often, it's so booring!" the purple-haired groans. "In my free time I usually hang out with my super secret organization!! Nishishi~"

"I see..." I say before sheepishly adding, "Well, I'm glad I have a... friend... here with me."

Kokichi's eyes widen before he smiles from ear to ear. "Aww! I love you too, Shumai!"

"L-love?!" I stammer.

"Yeah! Don't good friends love eachother?" he questions. I think for a moment. I love Kaede, and I think I tolerate Miu. She's fun to have around.

"You're right," I whisper. "I... really like you, too."

"What was that, best friend??"

"N-nothing! And 'best friend?'"

"Yeah!" Kokichi grins. "We're best friends!"

"Okay, Kokichi." I say, smiling softly.

I spend the rest of my time at the agency chatting with Kokichi. I feel like we've grown closer. I can't believe that I'm able to talk to him comfortably... all on my own. Kaede would be proud of me.

Soon my mother comes upstairs to bring me home. I wave goodbye to Kokichi and head to the car. When we get inside my mom is the first to speak.

"So I see you've met Kokichi," she says with a smile.

"Mhm. Why didn't you tell me Ms. Ludenberg had a son?" I ask.

"I didn't know until recently. You know how secretive Celestia is." she chuckles. "I did suspect it though..."

Mom has incredible intuition. It's kind of scary. She once followed a man to his house because "she thought he looked ready to kill" and the next day he was behind bars. I guess it's a detective thing. I wonder if I'll have something like that one day...

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

Abrupt ending I know... I just really needed to get this chapter out because I'm super excited to write the next one!

GO FOLLOW BESTIES urinternetbff and hqrukx !!

And Rinrin bestie you can be married to Celestia here 😾

OKAY BYE HAVE A GOOD DAY!!