The truth...? (Part Two)

Life has been absolute hell ever since the disappearance of Tsumugi and Tenko. All I've been able to think about during class is them. Because of that, my grades slipped a bit. My teachers have been worried sick about me, asking things like, "Is everything alright at home?" and "Have you been okay lately?"

...I hate it when people ask if I'm okay.

It's not like I'm upset that they asked, but it makes me feel pressured to say yes. I don't want them prying into my life. And it's not like they really care anyways. As soon as I say I'm fine, they turn their backs like they never talked to me in the first place. They only ask to feel good about themselves. I hate that.

...On the bright side, Kaede's coming back this weekend! I'm really excited. It's the only thing I find myself looking forward to. But since Saturday is ages away, I have to deal with this week first... and I'll be really busy.

The Future Foundation has been having meetings every afternoon. They're really trying their hardest to find the missing students. I don't like how they've only gotten more serious about it because students from a prestigious school have been kidnapped. I think that all the students' lives are worth the same attention. I don't speak out about it, however. There's no point in me calling it out. It would only create setbacks, and we should focus on finding them as soon as possible.

Kokichi's been tagging along with me for every meeting. He'd kill me if I said this out loud, but I think he's looking out for me. I find that really nice of him. Ms. Fukawa doesn't seem to agree, though. She gets really annoyed whenever he shows up...

But anyways... we've been progressing with this case slowly but surely. A few eyewitnesses have stepped forward. Ms. Ludenberg has been interviewing (or should I say interrogating) them, and we've gained a bit of information. They handed it over to me in a file, but I haven't read it yet. I know I should really be working, but I have a lot on my plate. School, work, and just myself in general... there's too much going on right now. I barely have any time to myself anymore. That's what Kaede said in our last call, at least. She told me to make sure that I'm not overworking myself, but I don't think I have a lot of control over that. I have to take it all on if I want to meet everyone's expectations...

...

There's a new project in class. It's a group assignment, though. I don't like group assignments, but there's no point in protesting. We all wait in the classroom excitedly, waiting for Ms. Yukizome to walk in. She's been coming in later and later everyday... we've all started to worry about her.

"Good morning, class..." Ms. Yukizome murmurs, barely audible. She's lost her cheer ever since she heard about her students' disappearances. She might be thinking about going to look for them herself...

"Good morning," the class responds back, signaling for Ms. Yukizome to begin her lesson.

"As you may or may not know, I've assigned everyone a new project. And yes, it is required to complete this in groups."

The class groans. Ms. Yukizome pays no attention to it.

"I will be picking the groups. The due date is January 12th, so you have all of winter break and longer to finish..." she trails off and begins to write our pairings on the board.

Angie, Miu, Kiibo

Kazuichi, Fuyuhiko, Peko, Chiaki, Sonia

Leon, Chihiro, Junko

Rantaro, Maki, Kaito, Shuichi, Kokichi

Hiyoko, Mahiru, Hajime, Nagito

My eyes widen as I reread the names. Kokichi's in my group? How lucky...! At least there's one person who I don't have to be so formal with...

I glance at the other members of my group. Maki looks like a really smart, hard worker, but I feel like she'd do everything herself, which defeats the purpose of a group project. Kaito is very... distracted... when it comes to class, so I'm not sure how he'll do with this. As I turn to look at Rantaro I realize that he was already staring at me. We lock eyes for a moment (a very, very awkward moment) before he sends me a small smile. Embarrassed, I turn around and face the board.

"We start working tomorrow. Make sure you have a way to contact your group members." the orange-haired tells us before heading to her desk.

✎⇢ ➸➹ ⇨ ⇒ Time Skip: After School

"Shuichiiii, wait up! We're still walking home together!" Kokichi calls to me as I head outside.

"Sorry Kokichi... I guess I forgot..." I say.

"You FORGOT?! We ALWAYS walk back together!" the smaller whines. He looks up at me before continuing. "Anyways, you look like you have something on your mind. What's up?"

He noticed?? "Ah, it's nothing, really. I think I'm just stressed with school."

Kokichi gives me a knowing look. He knows I'm lying, but he doesn't say anything about it. I've noticed that when I lie, he always seems to know. But he never calls me out...

"How about I go over to your house today? So I can, y'know... 'help you with your schoolwork?'"

I stop in my tracks. "Y-you want to come over? But it's so sudden..."

"Your parents won't mind, right?" he asks, completely ignoring my last sentence.

"I don't think they will... but I'm supposed to be going to Future Foundation's office soon..."

"They won't care if you skip one day! You've been spending all your free time with them, and you're not even working there!"

"But they'll be disappointed in me..."

"They never said that! Don't just assume that they'll start hating you for not showing up!" Kokichi points at me, pressing his finger into my chest. "You're a high schooler. You have a life, unlike some people!"

I let his words sink in for a moment. Maybe they'll let it slide this time... they understand, right?

"Okay, Kokichi..." I give in. "Let's head over to my place."

"Yay!!" Kokichi squeals in joy and latches onto my arm, making both of us blush slightly. He stays like that for the entire walk home.

"Welcome back, Shuichi!" I hear as we step into the house. To my surprise, dad is already home.

"Hey dad, how was your day?" I ask, smiling.

"It was pretty stressful. I ended up leaving early, heheh..." he grins sheepishly before turning to Kokichi. "You brought over a friend, I see. Kokichi, was it?"

"That's me!" the leader beams. "How did you know?"

"I know everyone who attends Hope's Peak. What kind of principal would I be if I didn't?" Dad laughs. "Well, don't let me keep you two from hanging out! I'll be in my office if you need me." Without waiting for a response, he stands up and heads upstairs quickly.

Kokichi stares after him. "...YOUR DAD IS THE PRINCIPAL?"

"Y-yes, he is. I thought you knew...?"

"Of course I didn't know! Why would I know?!"

"I thought everyone knew.." I sigh. "We should probably go up to my room now. Do you want anything from the kitchen before we go?"

"Hmm... do you have any Panta?" the purple-haired asks, peering into the kitchen.

"I think so. You can go up to my room while I grab some for you," I offer. He nods and runs up the stairs.

It doesn't take long for me to find the soda. I pick up a can of Panta for Kokichi and a Dr. Hopper for me before heading up to my room. When I open the door, I find Kokichi sitting near my window, flipping through the files for the missing student case.

"H-hey! Those are confidential!" I place down the drinks and rush over to the leader.

"Hey, Shuichi," he starts, sounding oddly serious.

"What's this?"