4) The Start of Our New Hope

Everyone's here, right?

One... two... three... four... wait.

We're missing somebody.

Shuichi. Where's Shuichi?!

Calm down. He's probably at the hospital with his friends. Or maybe he's at his home resting.

He's supposed to be here, though. He always follows directions. For him to be out by himself... it's so dangerous...!

Relax, miss. Everything will be alright. Oh, hold that thought. I'm receiving a call from someone who might know what's going on...

-

When I wake up, the first thing I take note of is my surroundings. It seems like I never left the hospital.

...I never left the hospital. Why not?

I try to retrace my steps. I was visiting Kokichi, who was supposed to be in a hospital bed. So why was I in one instead? What are these machines I'm hooked up to?

Calm down. You need to calm down first.

...I don't have my journal with me, so I take a mental note of everything instead.

- I'm sick. Or hurt? I don't know what's wrong with me.

- A syringe.. I remember a syringe. I must have been injected with something. But what was it? Was it that bad? How much time has passed? Where is everyone?

- I can feel something against my hand, but I don't have the strength to look. Or to do anything, in fact. But I need to figure out what's happening... I need to become stronger.

- What happened to Kokichi? Ah... and that nurse! Why wasn't Kokichi properly taken care of?

- And what was I injected with? Was it fatal, or was it not intended to kill me? The answer might give me a clue of some sort... but I feel as though I'm running out of time to find it...

I can't be in the hospital right now. How did I do this? Why am I inactive when I should be out searching for the truth? It's my job... everyone is counting on me. Yet here I am. I've managed to land myself in a hospital bed. When will I be released? If I'm not let out soon, they might drop me from the case... I'll be the laughingstock of the Future Foundation... an utter failure...

So I can't give up. I've got to do something...

After a long time of doing nothing but planning, my eyes land on the door. It's quiet all around. I hear no movement outside the door.

...This is my chance!

I use all of my strength (which was not much) to pull myself out of the bed. I have some experience with hospital machinery due to a pervious case I helped with, so it was quite easy to unhook myself from the wires. Unfortunately, I couldn't identify the type of machine. What was that supposed to do for me? Hopefully I can go without it...

I grab a water bottle from off the desk and search the room before I leave. I find a pen and napkin and write a short note to the person who will discover my disappearance.

And with that, I leave the room.