I have a hard time talking to people...

The bell rings loudly, interrupting Ms. Yukizome and dismissing us for lunch. Some don't even wait for the teacher's okay and head out the door quickly. And by some, I mean most of the class. I'm left in the classroom with Sonia, Mahiru, Hiyoko, Rantaro, Chihiro, Chiaki (who fell asleep as soon as class started), and a shocked Ms. Yukizome.

"W-well I see that everyone's eager to get to the lunchroom..." the orange-haired sighs. She dismisses us with a wave of her hand and the rest of the students leave the room (except for Chiaki and I).

I sit at my seat and take out my journal. I love writing in it. I have a hard time putting my thoughts into words, so instead I jot down how I feel in my notebook instead. Sometimes I let Kaede read my little rants. She's really good at comforting me. She says I'm good at comforting her too, although I think otherwise.

"Whatcha writin', Mr. Detective?" I jump at the sudden presence behind me and slam my journal shut. I turn to see the one and only Kokichi Ouma leaning over my shoulder.

Wait, this is good. I was just about to go looking for him. Now would be a good time to thank him for earlier.

...But how do I do that?

"U-um... thank you for... earlier..." I stammer, looking down at my feet.

"No problem!!" Kokichi responds, making me smile. "I just felt the need to help such a pathetic, worthless being who couldn't even stand up for himself!!"

"..."

"...That was a lie. It's something that you'll have to get used to if we're gonna be friends!"

"F-friends?!" I don't know if I'm up for that, not after the stunt that he just pulled. But am I really in the position to be picky?

"Yeah! What else would I come to you for??" he asks, tilting his head in a childlike way.  "I can tell that we have sooo much in common already!!"

I guess I'm not seeing what he sees. We're complete opposites!! I think to myself as Kokichi rambles on some more.

"So, are you up for it?" the leader asks, bringing me back to reality. Wait... he asked me a question. I wasn't paying attention!! What do I say... I don't want to come off as rude...

"Um, yes...? I am...?" I reply.

"Great! So you'll go skydiving with me next Thursday, pull a prank on Fuyuhiko's clan on Friday, and bleach Ms. Yukizome's hair on Monday!!" he says cheerily. He must see my horrified expression because he quickly adds, "That was a lie of course! I can't believe you weren't listening to me!!"

I sigh in relief before opening my mouth to respond. "Sorry Kokichi... do you mind repeating yourself?"

"Fine, but don't let it happen again!" the shorter whines. "I was asking if you were up for being my friend!!"

"But... why me?" I find myself asking aloud.

"Because I like you, Shuichi! You intrigue me!!" he says matter-of-factly.

"H-how did you decide that by just looking at me?"

"I have great intuition!" Kokichi grins. "I'm still waiting for your response, y'know? What do you say?"

"...Fine. I'll be your friend, Kokichi." I sigh, giving in.

"Yay!! Well, I'll see you next period, Shumai!"

"Shumai?"

"Yep, Shumai! I have nicknames for all my friends!!"

"W-whatever you say..."

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

"Yep, the tour's going great! Have you been watching the live streams?" Kaede beams as she tells me all about her tour on video call.

"Of course I have, your music is really good!" I say, feeling myself smile too. Kaede's smile is contagious, I swear.

"Thanks, Shuichi! I'm glad that you like it! I've been practicing alot!!" the pianist pauses as someone passes her some papers. "Well, enough about me. How has Hope's Peak been treating you?"

"Well, Miu's already mad at me, but don't tell her I said that!!" I wave my hands nervously, earning a giggle from Kaede. "The students in our class have alot of... character. But our teacher is really nice! Her name is Ms. Yukizome. Oh, and... I think I made a friend!"

"Really?!" Kaede gasps, almost jumping out of her seat. "I'm so happy for you! What's their name?"

"His name's Kokichi Ouma," I tell her.

"Kokichi... hm... I think I've heard about him before! From Miu!" Kaede says eventually.

"Yeah, apparently they know each other. I can't tell if they get along, though..." I sigh, scratching the back of my head.

"Me either... but let's hope that they do! Maybe the four of us can hang out together once I'm back!"

"That's a good idea Kaede," I say before I hear a loud ring.

"Oh, Miu's calling," she informs me. "Should I add her to the call?"

"I-I'm good," I murmur. Miu's still upset with me... she'd take this call as the perfect opportunity to finish her rant from this morning. "I'll let you talk with her. Bye, Kaede!"

"See you later, Shuichi!"

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

I WANNA THANK BESTIES urinternetbff and hqrukx FOR HELPING ME WITH THIS CHAPTER !!! <3