The truth...? (Part Three)

"What's this?"

My fear rises as I move over to Kokichi's side. I've never heard him sound so serious before... it's kind of scary...

I peer over the smaller's shoulder, eyes widening as I read the file he points out. "W-what?!"

Kokichi turns to look me in the eye. "Kaede's gone missing?"

"But I called her last night..!" I protest. "Everything was perfectly fine!"

"Wait, look at this." Kokichi turns the paper towards me, letting me get a better look at the information.

"It says that she went missing on December 13th. That was two days ago!" I say.

"Maybe the Kaede you were talking to was a fake?" Kokichi suggests.

"I don't think that's possible. I've known Kaede my whole life. I'd probably know if I were talking to a fake."

"There's always that possibility..." he pouts, turning his attention back to the file. I pull out my phone and begin searching for Kaede's contact information. I have to make sure she's okay.

"What could the date mean?" I hear Kokichi question. "If I'm not completely insane, wasn't that the day that Tsumugi and Tenko went missing?"

I almost drop my phone in shock. "Y-you're right! Then... maybe they planned to kidnap Kaede too?"

"Sounds like it!" the purple-haired leader abruptly stands from his spot. He grabs my hat from off of my head and begins to pace around the room.

"Hey! My hat!"

"So Kaede was going to get nabbed just like Tsumugi and Tenko on the 13th..." Kokichi begins, completely ignoring me. "But she didn't. Why is that? And why is the file there if she's safe and sound?"

"I wish I knew..." I sigh. "I'm going to call her again to make sure she's alright."

"Go ahead, Mr. Detective!"

I tap on the dial button and the phone rings for a few moments. With each ring, my anxiety worsens.

Rriiiinggg!

What if Kaede isn't alright?

Rriiiinggg!

Her life is in danger.

Rriiiinggg!

What will I do if she really is gone?

Rriiiinggg!

What if I failed to save another person close to me?

Rrii-

"Hello? Shuichi?"

"KAEDE!" I end up shouting, making Kokichi jump in surprise. "You're alright!"

"O-of course I am, Shuichi!" she responds, also surprised from my sudden yelling. "Is everything alright over there?"

"H-have you noticed anything suspicious going on around you?" I ask.

"Come to think of it, there was something I meant to tell you about that. Last night after you called, I was walking back to the hotel with Sayaka and Ibuki. But I had a strange feeling that somebody was watching me. Actually, I've felt like that since about two days ago. I turned my head to the side a little to take a peek, and I think a caught a silhouette of someone behind us!"

"That sounds exactly like our story!" Kokichi whispers to me.

"I meant to tell you yesterday, but the power went out! For the ENTIRE hotel! I was so scared! But since nothing bad happened to us or anyone else, I decided that I'd call you today instead of late at night. I'm really sorry for not saying anything sooner!"

"It's alright, Kaede." I sigh, relieved. "I'm just glad that you're okay, really."

I can practically hear Kaede smiling through the screen.

"For now, just focus on keeping you and your crew safe. You're heading back over here, right?"

"I am!"

"That's good. We probably shouldn't say more over the phone, just to be cautious. When you arrive here, can you meet up with me as soon as you can?"

"Definitely!" the blonde promises. "But don't worry too much while I'm gone, okay? I know how you get when you worry. Just keep in mind that I'll be here soon and that I'm perfectly fine!"

I nod in response, but Kaede doesn't accept it. "I can't hear you nodding through the phone!"

"O-okay," I stammer. "I'll leave you to your work. See you later, Kaede!"

"Bye, Shuichi!"

I hang up and slouch into my beanbag chair. Kokichi remains oddly quiet next to me.

"Is everything alright, Kokichi?" I ask, turning towards him.

"It sounded like the power outage at the hotel was on purpose, right?" he says.

"It seems so. The timing was definitely not a coincidence."

"So she was supposed to get kidnapped..." he continues. "But for some reason, she didn't. But someone expected her to be. They even prepared the file in advance!"

My eyes widen. "So that means..."

"Someone from Future Foundation is working with the kidnappers." Kokichi declares. "And that's the full truth."