I don't want to let anyone down.

My parents let me stay home from school yesterday. I told them that I really shouldn't be skipping, but my mom insisted that I should take a day off for some "me time." I didn't really do anything, though. I just sat around and watched some TV (if that counts).

I haven't seen Kokichi since the meeting at the Future Foundation. I wonder if he's annoyed by me. Did he only try to comfort me out of pity? What if he never wants to see me again?! I shouldn't have gotten so comfortable around him... now he might hate me...

Ah... I'm thinking too much. I should go get in the car. Oh, my dad is taking me today. I love riding to school with my dad. He always plays music on the radio. It's never anything loud and obnoxious, but instead, it's rather calming music that gets us in a good mood. I don't know what he's playing, and he refuses to tell me the artists. I guess he's trying to keep our car rides special. That's... thoughtful of him.

We arrive in under 20 minutes and hurry to the office. I really, really like being in the principal's office (unlike other students I know). It makes me feel like I'm special, kind of. My dad sits down at his desk and starts his work right away. He's really good at multitasking, so he's alright with talking with me while doing his work. I'm glad that he finds a way to make time for me.

Before I knew it, the morning bell rung, signaling that the students were now allowed to come into the building.

"Well, that's the bell. I have a meeting to go to, so I'll be off!" my dad shuffles his papers and stands up, heading towards the door. "Bye, Shuichi! Have a great day!"

"You too," I murmur. I will not have a good day. I'm at school, after all. But I can't tell him that. So I don't.

I'm the first one to arrive in class. Peko, Fuyuhiko, and Chihiro enter next, all at the same time. Then Kazuichi, Nagito, and Hajime come in, followed by Chiaki, Sonia, Kaito, and Maki.

The desks fill up quickly, and soon the only ones that aren't here are Miu, Kokichi, and Kiibo. I don't expect perfect attendance from Kokichi, or even Miu, but Kiibo? He's always here! Where are they? Are they all together?

As if on cue, the three walk in, all quieter than usual. Miu's face is really pale, and Kokichi is at a loss for words. Kiibo stares at his feet silently. I turn to ask them what has them so down, but Ms. Yukizome cheerfully steps into the room, saying her good mornings before I can speak. I face the board again, deciding to wait to ask them.

"Everything seems so gloomy today!" our teacher pouts. "Where did everyone's smiles go? To fully embrace your youth, you should find a way to smile as often as possible!"

The class simply stares back in response, with the exclusion of Sonia, who smiles brightly to cheer Ms. Yukizome up. The orange-haired returns the gesture and starts the class.

✎⇢ ➸➹ ⇨ ⇒ Time Skip: After Class

"Hey, emo hat," Miu calls to me as I stand to leave.

"Please don't call me that..." I sigh. "What do you need?"

"Kiibo, Kokichi, and I want to run something by you in a few minutes," the inventor whispered. "Can you come? Wait, no. You're coming regardless! I'll drag you by the ear if I have to!"

"N-no need! I'll come!!" I gulped.

"Good! You should just tag along with me now. I'm going to see them anyway." Miu says, turning to leave. I sigh and follow her.

After a few minutes of walking, we enter the courtyard to see Kokichi and Kiibo whispering amongst eachother on a nearby bench.

"I brought the detective," Miu announces, pushing me towards the two lightly.