The missing students...

"Ms. Kirigiri, what are your comments on the missing children's case?"

"It's Mrs. Naegi," Mom responds curtly. After all these years, people still have a habit of calling her by her maiden name. She was a child prodigy, solving the unsolvable and outranking even her father in the detective business. One could only get used to seeing "Kyouko Kirigiri" in the newspapers.

My parent's marriage was a complete surprise to the public. The two had met at the Tokyo Leader's Conference, a gathering held to introduce the important leaders of Japan (such as CEOs and CFOs or celebrities, or anyone who's really good at what they do) to each other and let them learn from another's experiences. Mom and dad had taken an interest in each other and starting meeting up under the radar. They were dating for two years before announcing their engagement.

Even though the announcement was sudden, it's been about eighteen years since then! You'd think that people would be used to calling mom "Mrs. Naegi" by now, yet here we are.

"The case is being handled as we speak. We're making steady progress on solving the mystery behind these kidnappings."

"Mrs. Ki- Naegi, have you gotten any leads on who is responsible for the crimes committed in this case?"

"We... that information is confidential." mom flips her lilac hair and turns away coldly. "Shuichi and I will be late to our next meeting if we don't hurry, so if you'll excuse us-"

The paparazzi turn to me, surprised as if they had just now realized that I was here. Their interested eyes wandering across my features made me shiver, scooting closer to my mom.

"Shuichi, sir," one of the photographers speaks up. "What are your thoughts on the case thus far?" He thrusts his microphone into my face, making me back into the wall behind us. The mere thought of being recorded and put on live TV was enough to make me sweat, so the current situation I'm in makes me feel like I'm about to faint. Being surrounded by a crowd of photographers (who were all recording or snapping photos, which didn't make me feel any better) is not the ideal way to spend my Saturday...

"Excuse me." Mom steps in front of me, blocking me from the cameras. "Please refrain from taking too many photos without our consent. We're people, not animals put on display for your entertainment. Now please excuse us, we're going to be late for our meeting." Without looking them in the eye, mom ushers me past the paparazzi and into the car. As soon as she closes the door, she lets out a long sigh. "I'm sorry, Shuichi. I know you hate cameras. I don't like how people think they can keep us on their schedule and let them record whatever media of us they'd like. We're still human, just like them. We have lives to live."

"It's alright mom," I say, even though I'm still shaking. "I agree with you, but don't apologize. It's not your fault..."

Mom smiles at me before turning to the front. "Since when did I deserve such an amazing son?"

"When did I deserve such an amazing mom?" I grin. I then pause before asking, "We don't actually have a meeting, do we?"

"Of course not. I just needed an excuse to get us out of there!"

-

"Okay, we're here." Mom announces as she pulls up to the airport. "I still don't know why you need to be so early. The plane isn't scheduled to arrive for another thirty minutes."

"I know, mom. I just... really want to make sure that I'm not late when Kaede arrives," I say.

"Alright, Shuichi. Do you want me to come pick you up, too?"

I shake my head as I hop out of the car. "No thanks. Ms. Ludenberg is coming instead."

"Okay then. I'll call her to make sure you're fine. Until then, stay safe!"