Part 14

"Huh, what kind of game?" I asked him in a confused tone.

"I was thinking about a slightly different version of hide and seek," spoke the excited male.

Frowning, I averted my gaze to the ground and scratched my head. What's wrong with him, did he hit his head?

Why would he think about playing hide and seek with me? We're way too old for those simple playground games.

"Don't you think it would be a little childish to play something like that?" I voiced my concerns in a somewhat annoyed voice.

"Why? Isn't it normal for me to play with my little brother?"

When he said that, his expression, which had been innocent a few seconds prior, turned into a devious smile, as if he knew exactly that he was getting on my nerves with his antics. He probably knew that in the first place, but somewhere deep inside, I still had a soft spot for him and his stupid moodswings.

"Son of a bitch," I mumbled under my breath, hoping he wouldn't hear that.

"What did you just say?"

At his words I rolled my eyes and bit my tongue. I wasn't interested in getting into a fight with him just yet so bearing with his ridiculous behavior was a necessity.

When I didn't answer, Grimm pressed his lips into a thin line and started scolding me.

"Just because I'm not as sensitive to curse words as Alerus or Rei doesn't mean I'm OK with you swearing, alright? I don't want you to swear. After all, you are still a child technically."

Gritting my teeth, I balled my hands into fists and stomped ahead. If he wanted to play a game then so be it. All I was going to do was get as far from the entrance as possible and find an area where I could hide for the rest of the night. Maybe then I'd be able to clear my mind and think the situation through again.

As I entered the green maze I noticed how high the hedges actually were. They towered over me while being at least 4 times bigger than me. And once again I was reminded of my tiny body and it was like fuel to my anger. The last straw that led me to losing my sanity was the mocking laugh from behind me.

"You better count to 1000 or I'll rip out your canines when I see you again."

After about 15 minutes of wandering through the well kept paths I found an area where the hedge was very thick and bushy.

It was only on one side and it was a perfect hiding spot for my small frame. Squeezing myself through the sharp branches and twigs of the plant I crawled over the ground until I was completely immersed in the hedge.

Just to be sure I looked over my shoulder to check whether one would be able to spot me through the green mess and once I was satisfied I decided to get comfortable.

As I lay down onto the ground a pain filled grunt escaped my lips. Quickly covering my mouth with my hand I listened to the silence around me and when I didn't hear anything I closed my eyes in a relieved manner.

Grimm should've started his journey through the maze at this point and I wasn't sure what the rules for his game were so he might make use of his speedy abilities.

If that were to happen he could already be near.

When I was sure that he wasn't around I opened my eyes again and took my hands off my mouth.

Looking ahead of me I noticed that the bushes ahead of me continued to go on for about another two meters which was incredibly suspicious to me. Glancing over my shoulder once again I shrugged my shoulders and crawled deeper into the dense bushes. After all, it was better to be safe than sorry.

There's no way he'd be able to see me at this point.

But as I neared the end of the green walls I noticed something metallic being hugged by the branches of the hedge. Maybe there was something hidden inside the maze.

With newfound determination I crawled to the end of the hedge and grabbed the metallic string with my hand, but no matter how hard I pulled it wouldn't budge.

Now this was weird. What could it be?

Suddenly I heard heavy footsteps behind me. As they came closer to my hiding spot I broke into a cold sweat. I felt like I wasn't supposed to be here. Feeling anxious about being spotted in this area of the maze I started shivering.

When the footsteps halted behind me I felt a chill going down my spine. Needless to say, I was scared shitless.

Only when the footsteps continued walking again was I able to relax.

While the sound of the footsteps started to fade I continued examining the metallic frame in front of me.

Suddenly, remembering the location of the maze on the property, I widened my eyes in surprise.

Not being able to contain my excitement I crawled a little closer to the metal and stuck my head through the branches next to it.

What I saw behind them made my heart beat wildly in a moment of pure joy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry for not uploading for 2 weeks. I tried to enjoy my 2 week vacation before the exams come flooding in. Oh the joy of school and its pressure...