Part 15

There, right before my eyes, was the endlessness of the surrounding forest.

The seemingly random piece of metal belonged to the castle's fancy fence!

I couldn't believe my luck. Not only had I found the perfect escape route but I had also made my mind up about whether I wanted to stay with my brothers or not. Grimm's behavior earlier clearly showed that there wasn't anything I could do to prove my matureness in this household. They would just act as though I was some kid all over again and I'd feel humiliated all the time.

I'd rather live alone in the woods like some kind of animal than in such a weird family.

Nodding to myself I tried to get a clear head. I wasn't quite sure when such an opportunity would present itself again so I should probably make use of it, right? Should I wait a bit more to calculate and plan my escape through?

No, this must be fate. How high were the chances of me finding this spot anyways?

After a brief moment of intense thinking I looked over my shoulder again to bid this beautiful Victorian styled castle my farewells.

Sighing, I continued painfully squeezing limp per limp through the small gap between the connected metallic frame. As I was practically kissing the ground due to having to lift my chest and stomach over the metal string following along the ground I suddenly started to cramp.

It wasn't just my arms who failed to support me as they cramped up, but also my legs.

I started to lose my balance and my bones became all wobbly, resulting in me painfully crashing my already hurt ribs against the metal string.

But that wasn't the worst pain that came with the impact. I felt a sharp pain pierce into my abdomen where I still had an older wound that healed very slowly.

Something had just pierced into the crust covered wound and completely reopened it.

Panicking, I started gasping for air immediately. I stared ahead into the black nothingness of the forest with wide eyes.

As my limbs still shook from the cramp, whatever had pierced my wound was digging itself deeper into my flesh.

Feeling warm liquid seeping through my clothes, I started to feel incredibly cold.

I had to stop being so pathetic if I wanted to get out of here. Drowning in self-pity while waiting to fall unconscious wasn't very effective if you wanted to escape so I had to switch up my plans.

When I bit my tongue until I tasted blood I lifted my weak body up again to get out of here as soon as possible. Feeling the sharp stick leave my body as I rose my torso, I fixed my gaze ahead of me.

But when I heard quick footsteps in the distance somewhere behind me, adrenaline flooded my body and I pushed myself up to get the hell out of here.

Throwing my entire body through the small gap all in one I got up to my feet and ran for my life. I felt the twigs cutting through the fabric of my pants but I couldn't be bothered as I had to run at full speed to have a chance to escape the devil's clutches.

I took a look at my surroundings while running as fast as light and made eye-contact with Rayi, who appeared to be walking through the woods carrying a strange black bottle.

When he took in the situation that was unfolding right before his eyes he dropped the bottle and started sprinting in my direction.

Great, now I had two people chasing after me. Even though Grimm didn't seem to be very close, I still decided to switch directions so that I would be running as far away from both of them as possible.

I started to breathe heavily and even though I knew that I was going to get caught anyway due to my decreasing strength and speed I still pushed myself to run faster.

Although it might not seem like it, I was way more determined to win this chase than my captors. This moment could be the key to a peaceful life but it could also mean a life under constant surveillance.

When I threw a brief look over my shoulder I noticed how Rayi had sped up to unholy speeds. He was way faster than me even though I was running as fast as my adrenaline flooded body could.

How was that possible?

I continued to throw quick glances into his direction only to notice that he had almost caught up to me by now. I couldn't spot Grimm anywhere though which worried me.

But I still had a little bit of hope left because after all, Rayi could still trip and hit his head on a rock or something. Maybe that would be enough to knock him out.

As I heard Rayi's footsteps right behind me, I could hear that he was breathing heavily too which was a rare occasion as he usually never ran out of breath. Hopefully it was because he had to run as fast as he could in order to catch me.

The moment I felt him breathing down my neck he tackled me to the ground, causing me to grunt in pain. He hugged me close to him while we both tried to catch our breaths.

I sat between Rayi's legs with my back pressed to his stomach and as I looked up to look at his head my head hit his chest.

But I didn't care at the moment, so I just let it rest there.

"Why...Why are you on their... side?" I managed to breathe out amidst my frantic pants.

Rayi's eyes were still wide open and it looked as though he had been really stressed out about the move I just pulled.

But just when he was about to open his mouth to respond, I felt my surroundings spinning around me and my eyelids suddenly became heavy.

"Please help me..." I whispered without thinking.