Chapter 3

It's embarrassing for me to admit but I had cried myself to sleep that night, it's such a shame. It was  a good day until I had to come home and see father, and mother when she was like that.

This isn't something out of the ordinary though. For the past year, father has been coming home seemingly, more drunk every night. And even more angry, he calls her names too. Just awful ones that hurt for me to hear. But I know they hurt her even worse, I wish there was something I could do but of course i'm only a child.

 It wasn't weird for me to cry until I fell asleep either, whenever the screaming, yelling, and fighting gets too bad I usually end up falling asleep with tear tracks down my cheeks. I suppose i've gotten used to it, I wish I hadn't.

The silence that followed after all the arguing was relieving but also deafening. I often think about how life could be different without him here. Without doubt it would be much better than it is now. I wouldn't have to cry in my room because of him, mother wouldn't have to go through the physical, and verbal abuse from him. He is the cause of our problems. He is the worst. 

But what would get him gone for good? I think about how it would feel to bring him as much pain as he causes me and mother. I also wonder if or rather, when, he'll start to lash out on me as well. It's one of the many things I fear. I hate him, so very much.

But it's morning, no need to dwell on that right now. Just get up, no matter how much you don't want to.

"Darling? Are you awake?" My mother asked as she stepped into the room, at this moment I was just getting out of bed.

"Yes, I am." I said, but not with a smile. Remembering the events that took place last night.

"What's wrong?" She asked. 

She was wearing a blue nightgown with a light blanket overtop. I could see bruises that covered her legs and what was visible of her neck and shoulders, a dreadful sight.

"Why do you stay with him?" I asked her with a small sigh.

"What do you mean Alastor?" She asked me.

'You know exactly what I mean'  I thought.

"Mom..are those from him? Again..?" I asked, but I already knew what was likely the answer.

"Of course not." She said, looking at the bruises. Rubbing one of her arms in the process.

And I had already knew she was going to lie, like she had done the many times before. Why does she bother to lie to me? She knows I know what happens to her so I don't see what the point is to try and hide it from me.

"Get ready for school, are you hungry?" She asked as I shook my head.

"No, i'm not. I'll eat later." I said.

"Very well, and Alastor i'm-" She was cut off by my fathers yelling, he was still here? I was hoping he had already gone off to work.

"I-" She paused for a moment before continuing, like she wanted to tell me something but decided not to. Perhaps it was something regarding him, or the marks that were made on her. But I suppose I won't know.

"Have a good day at school darling, i'm cooking your favorite for dinner tonight." She said as she rushed off to fulfill whatever need my father was asking of her. 

Though, what she was making for dinner caused a small smile to form on my face. I had already knew what she meant by my favorite dish, she said she was going to teach me how to make it when i got a little older, she was making jambalaya. How I wish that I could have Y/n over for dinner as she and her mother did with me, I think she would quite enjoy my mother's cooking. Much like I do, its my favorite. I wish to cook like her one day.