Chapter 22

When I returned home, a large part of me felt frustrated and dissatisfied. I had intended to go out for a hunt, but the streets were relatively barren, and I ran into Alex. When we were at Mimzy's speakeasy, he started talking about what I thought to be random nonsense, the ramblings of a drunk man. Of course, it wasn't. Rising up in the ranks could make him more of a problem for me. For one, he'd have more resources, which could definitely become an issue. 

A part of me wishes I had just killed him right then and there, just get rid of him. It would have been relatively easy, to be frank. As I said before, the streets were desolate; I could have killed him without any trouble. But I didn't. Thankfully, when I got back inside last night, Y/n was still sleeping. I was a little worried that her nightmares would wake her up again, and she'd find me gone. But she didn't seem to have any. None that woke her up, at least, as she didn't question my nightly whereabouts or even make it known that she had any knowledge of me leaving.

───※ ·❆· ※───

As I finished up at work, I stopped over at the diner. Y/n walked out before I could even reach the handle.

"Oh, seems I came just in time, hm?" I chuckled as she turned towards me.

"Al?" She asked with a soft, confused smile on her face.

"I came to walk you back." I smiled as I glanced through the window into the diner. Through the window, I saw Caleb sitting down in a nearby booth.

"Hm..Caleb's been coming around here a bit more frequently, huh?" I asked as I placed a hand on her shoulder while we walked.

"Oh. I guess so." She said as she looked down.

"Is something the matter, dear?" I asked as she looked back up.

"Caleb, he invited me out to see a film.." She said.

"Did he now?" I asked.

"I thought it was sweet." She said, turning her head away from me as she shrugged slightly.

"Well, what if I took you to see one instead?" I offered. She seemed hesitant to accept, as if she had something to lose by going.

"We have been going out an awful lot, Al."

"Don't worry about it, darling." I stopped, placing my hands on her shoulders as I continued.

"We don't have to go out tonight. How about tomorrow? It'll be fun, my love,"

"Trust me."

With some hesitance, she accepted. What Caleb is trying to do is becoming apparent. First, it's lunch with her, now a film? I genuinely find it pathetic that he won't just drop it already. He should know that I don't intend to give her up, especially not after waiting all this time. I hate the fact he's even around, but there's not much I can do about it. It's obvious how he feels for her, though. I don't know if she's just oblivious to it or if she chooses to ignore it. Either way, I'm not exactly happy about his advances.

As we walked back, we stopped at the market. I picked up a few ingredients I needed to make dinner. Chicken, onions, tomatoes, green peppers, garlic, parsley, thyme, etc. After we got back, I pulled out everything and got to cooking.