Chapter 12

New Orleans, 1923

Its been 7 years since I left New Orleans, and now i'm finally back. I've been here for a little over a week now, just trying to settle back in and find a job and somewhere to stay. On my first day back, I was wandering around and I bumped into an owner of a speakeasy. She was a short flapper girl named Mimzy, she was awfully generous and offered to let me stay with her while I found somewhere more permanent to live. Even though speakeasies are illegal, of course, it doesn't really matter to me. I don't mind at all, actually. I've been scrambling to find a job, since I've been gone for so long, its been a little difficult. I'm close to just asking Mimzy if she has a waitress position open that I could work. I'm getting a bit desperate, but I do have some experience with waiting tables. Even though most people would only stop in, sometimes they would come in the bakery and sit while they eat their pastries and sweets. I also collected the money that they would leave at the front. Actually, speaking of sweets, I brought some dark chocolate back from the bakery. Just in case I saw Alastor, I don't even know if he likes dark chocolate, or sweets for that matter, anymore.

 I've spent pretty much all of my time inside of the house, so I haven't gone out much but I might go to her club tomorrow and ask about the job. Or just find some time to talk to her about it. Because i'm not having much luck finding one at the moment, and I would much rather help out with things like rent than stay here for free. I feel like a freeloader since i'm not contributing anything. She has me staying in the guest room of her house, its quite nice too, actually. Mimzy is often out pretty late, so I tend to the house until she comes back. I mean, Its least I can do right now. When she is around though, I sometimes hear her talking about a friend of hers. Apparently he's incredibly handsome-her words not mine. I have no idea what this mystery man's name is but it seems like she has a crush on the cat. I wonder if he's as magnificent as she's describing him to be, it sounds a bit like she's overreacting but I wouldn't know. Not like I've met the man before, so how would I?

After taking care of the few dishes that were left in the sink, and tidying up, I soon fell asleep. The guest bed is surprisingly comfy, drifting off to sleep was easy. It helped pass the time as I waited for the next day to arrive.

Time skip: The next morning, 6:00AM

I made sure to wake up early, since she leaves the house before the sun rises. Probably so she can get everything set up at her speakeasy. I tumbled out of bed, my weary self doesn't usually wake up at six. Walking out of my room, I caught Mimzy before she left.

"Mimzy?" I called from behind her as she turned around.

"Oh, Y/n. I don't usually see you before I go, is there something you need, doll?" She asked.

"Ah, well uh..yes. I've been having a little trouble finding a job lately, I was wondering if you possibly had a job open. Like, waiting tables maybe?" I asked.

"Oh, I actually just had a waitress quit last Wednesday. So yes, I do. I'd love to have you work there." She said with a smile.

"If you get dressed quickly, you could come with me now." She said.

"Thank you so much Mimzy, um i'll only be a second." I said as she nodded, I scrammed and rushed to my room, quickly changing into some appropriate attire. Stepping back out of my room, I was met with a gasp.

"Hun, you look spiffy! Why, I wouldn't be surprised if some people came in just to see you. You're quite the looker." She said. I was being bombarded with complements, as flattering as it was, I could feel my face burning. I was getting flustered too, almost losing my ability to speak in the moment.