Chapter 15

I didn't expect his voice to raise like that. I mean, it was just some silly key. He never lost his temper like that when we were children. Of course people change, especially over the span of 7 years, but he didn't seem like he changed when I saw him again the other night. He just seemed like a taller version of his childhood self, honestly.

 Maybe he was just having an off day, perhaps those papers he took from his room he left. Maybe he was just upset that he left them, they must have been important for him to leave work over. But if going to the basement would have been such a big deal, why didn't he just tell me not to go in there? Maybe there were things down there that he put away that he didn't want me to see. Maybe stuff from his childhood? I'm not sure, but if it is that I suppose I can understand. I guess that's why he was so worried about me going down there, he just wanted his privacy. Really, It's my fault. It must have been locked for a good reason.

 There must have been something down there he didn't want me to see and I should have respected that, if it was just some boring storage junk he wouldn't keep the door locked. I shouldn't have snooped around his room without permission and I shouldn't have tried to go down there. Maybe I can talk to him about it when he gets home later. For now, I should be focusing on what I could say to Mimzy, to avoid sounding rude or ungrateful. 

~~~

Time flew by as I wandered about, thinking of what to say. I tidied up around the house as I did so that when I left it would be clean and I wouldn't have to worry about cleaning later. I looked at the clock after sweeping and it was 2:45. I was planning on leaving between one and two, it was a bit later than I intended to wait but I suppose that's alright. It's not like she's really expecting me anyways. I dressed into something a little more fitting and walked out of the door. I kept walking until I made it to the alley where it was hidden. I knocked a few times before she answered.

"Hello?-Oh, Y/n. What are you doing here? You aren't supposed to come until later. Here, just come in." She said, moving so I could walk inside.

"That's kind of what I wanted to talk about." I said, spinning around to face her.

"What do you mean, hun?" She asked as she shut the door.

"I don't want to come off as unappreciative or anything, but I'm not sure if I'm the best fit for this kind of place. I'm thankful for everything you've done for me, giving me a job and letting me stay at your house, it was all so generous of you." I said.

"It was a pleasure to have you." She said with a small laugh.

"I know where this is going, and I understand. You don't have to say anymore." She said, walking over and placing her hands on my shoulders.

"So, have you found yourself a new gig?" She asked, taking her hands down.

"It's not anything big but the place is familiar to me, I used to work around in my parent's bakery." I said.

"Is it that new coffee shop that just opened up?" She asked.

"It is, yeah." I said.

"I see, so you're gonna start working there instead, huh?" She asked.

"Mhm." I said, I was just glad she was taking it well.

She held up her finger, signaling me to wait as she went to the back for a moment before returning. Purse in hand. She pulled out a few bills and then held them out for me to take.