9 - Odd

Fraser

I detect the precise moment that the human girl enters the dungeons. She has entered my domain, my cage, and she's doing of her own free will. I'm astounded, especially after what I said to her last time, and the way she left.

I hear the creak of the door, more gentle than Laird Sinclair, and timid as she sneaks down the cobble stairs one at a time. It's her. I know it.

If my ears hadn't alerted me first, my nose certainly would've. She smells sweet, but also fresh, like she's just been outside.

I sit up in interest, taking a deep breath in through my nose and letting the scent dance around my tongue. It's refreshing to smell something besides stuffy dust and cobwebs.

Besides that, it also stings me, this alluring smell of this odd girl. I'm starving down here, and the scent of a tantalizing scent of a meal is pure, sweet torture.

She pokes her head around the corner, holding her lamp high above her head as she squints into the darkness that consumes me. I chuckle a little to myself. I often forget how helpless humans really are. Without fire their eyes are completely useless.

To be fair to the mortals, the undead are given excellent night vision for a purpose. Aye, we need to be able to see our prey when we stalk them.

It helps that the prey can't see us, and that's obvious enough as the little human tip toes towards me, completely unaware of the danger waiting for her just beyond the shadows.

My nose flinches as I realize she's carrying food with her. I may have avoided food my whole life, but i know what bread smells like.

"Hello?" Her voice is small, breathless. Her breathing seems ragged. Each inhale hitches somewhere in her chest.

How odd. Odd is a word I think often when it comes to this girl.

I lean forward, my back leaving the wall as I sink closer to the human.

"I threaten your life, and you decide to return. Why is that?" I purr, enjoying the way she startles like a field mouse that spotted the cat prowling around the corner, claws out and at the ready.

She stamps her foot slightly, rattling the precious lamp she holds. It sways, the light bouncing and flickering across dirt covered bricks and bars.

"Well, I didn't want you to starve." She insists, voice brimming with barely leashed sass.

For a flash of a moment, I think she's referring to her delicious blood. My gaze glides to her pale throat, a soft column peeking out behind waves of blonde locks. I know biting into her would be absolute perfection.

She couldn't possibly know that I'm a vampire. And if she did, I doubt she would offer herself up on a silver platter.

The little thing holds a loaf of bread in one of her hands, titling it as if offering it to me.

She brought me human food. This Sinclair girl, she's trying to help me.

Odd. Definitely odd.

Little does she know that I cant digest bread, and that what I really need to prevent my starvation is running through her delicate veins.

She tries to take a step towards me, and I jolt into action. I need to stop her before she gets too close.

"And why do you think that I need your help?" I hiss, and my words work, she stops dead.

She thinks on it for a moment, as if she doesn't know why herself.

"Because no one else is helping you." She murmurs.