42 - On The Horizon

Ailsa

I spend the majority of the day preparing for my escape with Gentry watching over me carefully.

"You are welcome to come along if you wish." I insist, shoving a canteen of water into my satchel, followed my a stack of clean linens and a roll of socks.

My maid is silent as I bustle around the room. Excitement is in the air, the promise of a new life, the journey to start over again. Freedom. I can even taste it.

I can't keep the smile from my face, and Gentry is quick to point it out.

"I have never seen you so happy." She says, not even bothering to address my offer.

I sigh, glancing up at her.

"My unhappiness here, my struggles to thrive, I hope you know you are not to blame. You only ever made it better, Gentry." I say, and she smiles, shaking her head before looking out the window.

"I know, but I could have done more."

I rush to her side, grabbing her hand and shaking my head.

"No. Absolutely not. You did so much, and I will be forever grateful." I insist. "That is why i want you to come with me."

"Someone has to stay behind to keep your father from going after you."

I slowly ease away, laughing as I continue my preparations.

"Fraser and his clan will protect me." I tell her, folding a blanket and gripping a clasp of candlesticks.

"Do you know that for certain, lass."

The question is warm but leaves me feeling cold. There is doubt there in her voice, questioning the truth of the promises Fraser and I have given one another. I know it is not her trying to offend me, but it hurts, striking where it should... right in the center of my heart that aches for him.

"Yes. He loves me, and I love him." The sentence is sharper than I intended, pricking my tongue on the way out.

"Well, pardon my doubt. Lass. I've been burned by love. I am certain I will always question men's intentions, especially when it comes to love and how women are treated." Her eyes burn. "And when they are left behind."

I ache with guilt. I should have remembered her past as we have this conversation. I am a horrible friend.

"Please. Fraser is different, he is not like the men we have known. He has brothers, friends, clansmen. You should join us. We can have a happy life far, far away from here." I say, reinstating my offer and hoping that she'll bite.

Gentry's face reveals nothing as I finish packing in silence, rain still dribbling from the sky.

Walking around me room, its easy to look at it with sadness. I have endured many hardships here, some not so long agp, my sheets from my supposed 'exorcism' were shredded so bad they had to be thrown out.

There have been happy memories too, but I remind myself that the happiest of those times were wrought from the excitement of visiting a certain prisoner night after night. That alone is enough to tell me I am making the right decision, stamping out any sadness that I feel from fleeing so willingly.

The rest of the day flies away with the wind carrying the rain. I eat my final meal without a word for my parents, happily ignoring me. I ignore them right back, letting my smile shine to anyone who looks on.

I am unafraid. I am about to be set free. I have nothing to fear.

I go over the plan over and over, memorizing what needs to be done.

I will start by going to bed, laying in bed until everything is all clear. I will sneak down the stairs and hide at any little sound, dodging guards until I am able to meet Alec behind the kitchens. I will lead him to the dungeons, and he will kill any guards that get in the way.

We will find Fraser, and then he will leave to get the others so we can carry him away.

I think to the future, to those moments when we are reunited.

How bad will he be? Will he be able to speak? Will he be able to look into my eyes and give me that little smirk that always makes my heart skip a beat?

I'm unsure, but anxious to find out.

"What has you so cheery today?" Shocked, I turn to see that it's my mother who has asked the question, a slim brow raised halfway up her smooth forehead.

"Likely glad to be rid of that demon's hold on her, aye lass?" Father replies, and I bury my shock when I realize that he actually shared the information from my mother, and here I thought he thought her useless enough to keep in the dark.

I smile brightly, lifting my fork filled with food.

"Aye, father. I am overjoyed to be free." Not a lie. "And I am looking forward to my imminent marriage." Definitely a lie, a big one at that.

My Father grunts, lifting his goblet to his small, puckered mouth.

"It seems his power over you was severe indeed, I am glad you are warming to the union. It only gave me trouble when you put up such a fight, like some wild thing instead of a daughter." He says, sounding as if he couldn't be more disinterested. He is again dismissing me, I am only a woman to him after all.

Mother sniffs, picking at her food as she eyes me down her nose.

"You still owe Douglas Sinclair and his parents an apology. That was quite an embarrassment for your father and I." She instructs me.

I don't know if she's referring to how I lied to him, or the way I had a lung attack as soon as the little brat laid his hands on me. Either way, it does not matter. This is the last conversation I will have with my mother and father.

Soon all of their torment, their hatred for me, it will all vanish as I flee. I will no longer be something pressed beneath their thumbs, trusted to do anything and everything they say or be punished severely.

My grin widens at the thought.

"Yes, of course. I intend to."

Because my future is on the horizon, and I intend to grab it by the reins and ride into the sunset.

Next chapter is tomorrow:)))