54 - New Life

Ailsa

When I wake again, I'm alone and we'll satiated. I smack my lips together as I stretch my arms before me. I'm belly down on the mattress, wearing nothing but my soft, white under gown.

I moan as I stretch like a cat, my senses tuning in to the room and the goings on.

There's a thump from outside. The smell of food cooking. Smoke.

I choke on the smell, sitting up straight, my back as tights and rigid as a bow string.

Whipping my head around, I see that there's no window in the this little bedroom. I'm in the same, cozy room and bed that Fraser and I had our earlier discussion. Everything is exactly the same as when I must have fallen asleep, all but my companion. Fraser is gone.

I slip from my bed and scour the place, my wickedly clear sights still something to adjust to. I spot a dress layed out on a chair in the corner. I grab it and pull it over my head, anxious to find Fraser.

The door opens to a stair case, it drops down into a cottage. The walls are made of slate gray stones, the furniture worn and solid. I stroll down each step, grabbing a blanket from the couch and clutching it to my shoulders.

I'm not chilly, but it's oddly comforting.

My bare feet carry me around the small dwelling. There are windows down here, but they're covered with thick, dark drapery to banish any light from seeping through the glass.

Despite having no way to see outside, I somehow know it's night. Maybe that's why I'm suddenly awake. Vampires are only awake at night, right?

The broad, wooden floor boards break beneath me as I walk to the door. My fingers grab the latch, the black metal cold, before clicking it open.

Night air hits me, bringing a ploom of smoke with it.

"Oh, sorry lass! Had to cook something up for Gentry." A bright voice calls, and I tilt my head.

"Gentry." I state, my throat burning.

"Ailsa!" Arms are thrown around me, and I'm pulled into a familiar, warm chest.

My eyes flood with tears and I wrap myself around my maid, letting a sob out at finally being reunited with her.

I knew she was safe, Fraser told me as much, but seeing is truly believing.

When she pulls away and smooths my hair from my face, I grapple with the blanket, pulling it back up my shoulders. She gasps, letting go of me so quickly, I think it must be something I haven't seen yet.

"What? What is it?" I shrink in fear, bowing towards her as I look around wildly. My new senses are superb, but maybe not enough to prevent every sneak attack.

But as Gentry backs away from me, almost terrified to touch me, I realize it's me she's afraid of.

I stand statue still, looking up at her and hurting at the shocked expression.

"Your eyes... they're red." She murmurs, shuddering. I step back, my back hitting the door as my hand fumbles for the handle.

I want to run and hide as everyone outside is suddenly staring at me. Fraser's men seem curious, but seeing the look in Gentry's eyes terrifies me.

She's looking at me like I'm a monster.

"I'm sorry." I breathe, opening the door to flee, when I collapse backwards, I expect to hit the ground. Instead, I fall into a solid chest.