52 - Lovely Dream

Ailsa

     The light and darkness swirl together behind my eyelids, my body thrums with unknown feelings and sensations I have no name for. Its like crackling energy thats so powerful it begins to burn like icy fire.

    I itch to move, to draw away from the agony that has made a home inside of my body, a body that doesnt even feel as if it belongs to me.

    The feelings gain strength, demanding to be felt and heard. It becomes a bubbling liquid that threatens to overflow and destroy me.

    My eyes won't open. My limbs won't move. My mouth won't open.

    The scream building in my throat can't escape.

    The darkness takes over, winning against the light in the constant struggle of my mind.

    For countless moments, I'm buried in the dark, pinned under the pain with no way out.

     I wait and wait, hoping for something to change, begging for the pain to be taken away from me.

    After what feels like an agonizing eternity, a burst of light explodes and I'm reconnected to my body as pain bleeds away. I blink against the sunshine reflecting off the green grass.

    "Mama! Mam!" The rolling hills of the highland country side is dotted with two little figures running my way.

    I feel a grin split my face at the small boys who sprint to me. The smaller is blonde with dark eyes, the other is obviously older with wild black waves and serious, green eyes. They rush to me, throwing small but strong arms around my middle.

    I don't know them, but I know that they're beautiful, and I know that they're mine.

    The moment is fleeting, and I'm only able to hold onto them for a few seconds before they are pulling away. They chase each other across the beautiful land, screaming and giggling as they live a childhood that I never had.

    A deep, bursting yearning blooms, so strong I almost choke as I press my palm to my chest to steady myself.

    I jump slightly as a warm, solid arm slides around my shoulder, pulling me sideways to lean against a tall body.

    I look up at Fraser. His smile brightens his tan face with so much joy as he watches our sons. He turns his face to mine, grinning before pressing a reverent kiss my lips and gripping me tighter.

    When he pulls away, tucking a lock of hair behind my ear.

    "You're safe now." He murmurs, and I tilt my head to the side as I consider his words.

    "What?" I ask, completely lost as the sun shines on and the children continue to scream in glee.

     His gaze softens, and he cups my face, oozing love and security.

     "You're safe now. They can't hurt you anymore, I'm here." He says, and I'm beginning to see this for the dream it is. It's confusing, because his words feel so real. I can hear his voice down to the fibers of my very soul.

     "You're safe now. You can wake up." The words sound far away, up on the surface, above this lovely dream.

    I close my eyes, searching for him far away from this beautiful hallucination.

    I wait for more, feeling closer with each passing moment. I swim around in the darkness, willing Fraser to say something, anything.

    "I'm here, darling. I'm here and I'm not going anywhere. There's nowhere I'd rather be."

    I get closer and closer, until my eyes finally open and I know this is reality. Fraser holds me, speaking to me and comforting me.

    His dark eyes go wide, and he's suddenly touching my face.

    "Ailsa?" He asks, and I grin, lifting my hands to hold onto his wrists.

    "I knew you would come for me."

Double update! Please read on:)