33 - Stranger

Ailsa

     The forest is bright and alive. The rain storm from yesterday has left everything covered in moisture that the mushy green ground soaks up.

     I trail my fingers across every surface I can't find in the woods. Tree trunks, rocks, even little slugs that come out of the wood work to slurp up any puddles they can find.

     My eyes fix on a particular slug dragging itself across a bright green plant. It's a black slug that leaves a sticky trail wherever it goes.

      I grin to myself, behind to snatch him up and lay him in my palm. His eyes flinch, shrinking into his head.

     I giggle at his reaction, carrying him as I stroll, picking up a leaf on my way to lay beside him as a peace offering.

     My mind flits anxiously between worry and excitement. Worry for myself and excitement for what could change.

     Even thinking of Fraser has me grinning and my breath evening out. Who knew the cure to my illness all along wasnt to be found in the lungs at all? Instead, it was in the heart, locked away waiting to be freed by someone tender enough to handle it without breaking it.

     I sigh dreamily, knowing I must look insane and feeling happy and relieved that no one can see what lingers in my mad mind.

     My footsteps stutter as the worry comes back, and I mutter an apology to my slug friend that I've decided to name Jamie.

     Today is not a good day, and I suppose that's the reason for my misadventures. It's all a distraction from the inevitable.

      The ramsays are arriving today. That is what truly strikes fear into my heart.

      I know that Fraser would protect me in a heartbeat from Douglas and his father, but there is nothing he can do while he's still locked away. I know he feels useless as long as it takes me to recover the key to his cage.

     I sigh, petting my slug and making my way uphill to the top of the summit that overlooks the nearby valley.

     That is the route that the Ramsay's will take, and I'm antsy to get to the top so I can find out if they're close enough to spot.

     "This is much more of a trek than I bargained for, Jamie." I coo down at my little friend, smiling despite my sturggle to breath as I watch him munch on the leaf I gifted him.

     I pause for a quick break, leaning against a damp tree and listening to the sound of a trickling stream close by.

     I close my eyes and let the noises and breeze wash over me like a rush of calm. If I die, my body will fuel this. My death will feed nature. The thought is oddly comforting.

     The creaking of a branch has my eyes flying open, looking to the canopy of leaves and sticks above me.

     Ever since I've learned what Fraser is, I can't help feeling like that dark figure I once spotted in these very woods was a monster as well.

     It has made me suspicious, but not enough to keep me out of the forest.

     "I may be going a little crazy, Jamie. That's okay since no one seems to like me anyway." I murmur, looking up the hill and groaning. I turn back to my slug. "But you like me, don't you?"

     His response is to continue munching as if I hadn't spoken at all.

     "Give him a free ride and he still ignores me."