26 - Ranting and Waving

Ailsa

     "My brother Alec and I would make bets on who could feed the most from a human in one night. It got quite competitive."

      I'm leaning away from Fraser, fiddling with my glass of water, a little reluctant at his admission. His eyes go wide as he tries to explain away his appalling admission. I want to shrink away from him despite his good humor.

     "You don't understand, sweet obe, we don't hurt humans when we feed on them. It was just a silly little game anyway. No damage done."

      "So, it was a contest?" I murmur under my breath, my voice breathy and amazed.

      Fraser nods exuberantly, his back pressed against the stone wall to my left. His side profile is illuminated by the flickering lantern, the shadow of it displayed perfectly on the back wall. His strong nose and beautiful, angular lips on full display for me to enjoy.

      His dark chuckle sends shivers down my spine.

     "Of sorts, yes. You have to remember that we were kids then. Scarcely 50 years old."

      That bit of information has me sputtering.

       "50 years!!" I demand, and Fraser is chuckling, grinning wickedly like he enjoys shocking me.

      "That's right."

      "And you call that being a kid. You must think I'm a toddler." That erases his humor, and it my turn to laugh. It's makes me wonder if he's as attracted to me as I am to him. "How old are you exactly?"

     He scoffs, putting a hand to his chest in mock outrage.

      "A gentleman never shares his age, it's inappropriate."

       "I thought that only applies to ladies." I counter.

      He pauses, thinking this over.

      "A vampire never shares his age. How about that?"

       I can't help laughing, rolling forward and leaning my forehead against one of the cold bars that separates us. I close my eyes for the briefest moments and see Fraser staring down at me in amazement, a smile on his face, his hand lifting to touch my chin with a whisper of his fingertip.

     I clear my throat, not breaking contact but needing to fill the air with words to keep from focusing on the warmth of his touch and the anticipation it gives me.

     "So, who won?"

     Fraser blinks.

     "What?"

     I roll my eyes playfully.

     "Your barbaric feeding contests, who won?" I press.

     It's Fraser's turn to laugh, and it's a bark of a laugh that startles me.

     "It depends who you ask, and it was not barbaric." He shakes his head, dropping his hand and looking away as he seems to grow far away in his eyes. "Alec would tell you I was the loser, but in reality he didn't want to face that I was more sly. His approach was much more direct. He liked knowing his prey, he found it more enjoyable. Somehow he thought that gave him more points or something."

      I can tell from his voice that he misses his brother, and it sends a pang through my chest.

     "Do you want to keep talking about him?" I murmur, and he nods once.

     "He's my little brother. I watch after him. Our parents died when we were young, and I was all he had while I took over our clan. We've alway had each other, until now. To tell you the truth I feel guilty for being here."