39 - Love

Ailsa

"No! No! Please, no no no..." The broken sobs leaving me are all i can hear, scrambling forward, pushing at the arms that bind me.

Frasers body is slumped on the dirty ground, his side weeping crimson. He shouldnt be left in that filth, left to bleed out into the pebbles and stone that kept him trapped.

"No!" I'm almost to him, so close that I can taste him on my tongue, and I'm being grabbed again. My throat burns as screams ring out like bells of foreboding.

"Hush, lass! Cease this struggle." My world goes spinning, and my stomach connects with a shoulder and I'm carried away from my love.

I didn't get to say I love him. I didn't tell him.

The realization takes my breath away more than my father's brute strength ever could.

Fraser is disappearing in the dark, and I cant help myself to call out the words, not a single thought for the ears that are surely listening to my ramblings.

"I love you! I love you... I love.. I love.." My words are reduced to sobs as I'm hefted up stairs and layers of floor and ceiling. I kick, I scream, uncaring of who I awaken in the night.

My fists connect with my father's back, my feet bouncing on his belly.

"Get your hands off me! He's dying! You're letting him die! I hate you! I hate you!"

I dont open my eyes until I'm tossed and my head makes contact with something soft and billowy. I pant, sweating and growing tense deep in my lungs. My bed, I'm in bed, a dark figure looming over my messy form. He's furious, unmatched.

"Fetch me some rope. It's time we put her in her place."

I scream, and it does me no good, soon overpowered and tied to my own bed post as I thrash and moan in pain.

"Let's secure the vampire. We'll deal with you in the morning."

I twist against the restraints even as I'm left in the darkness with nothing but my own mumblings to keep me company.

The image of that knife sinking into Fraser's gut, my father stepping back, bursting with glee. Fraser slumping, falling, laying still. There wasn't another movement from him.

Was he already dead? I collapse against the soaked sheets, the chaffing slowing as the fight leaves momentarily.

No, he has to be alive. Otherwise, why would father even bother?

I try to catch my breath as the thought brings me a small bit of comfort.

The night rages on agonizingly slow. I'm yanked in and out of sleep as my arms sting from being held in the same place for so long, eventually growing numb altogether.

I hate having to close my eyes, even as exhaustion wins for some of the hours. Every moment my eyelids flutter, my head swarms with the recreation of those moments again and again.

My father's words as he appeared behind me, the whirl of motion that had me pulled away from my love. Fraser's strength palpable in the air like a heavy smoke, filling your nose and chest and mouth until it was all you thought of, all you knew. It choked me, and I had watched in amazement as he stepped out of that cell. The bars were dismantled into bits and pieces.

His skin on mine, the weight of his grip on my trembling body. It felt too real to be a dream.

The morning eventually shows itself, the sun rising sheepishly over the hills. The golden yolk doesn't rise fully above the trees before a small crowd bustles into my room

Father, as promised, and Gentry's wide, worried face.

And there's a priest here, clutching his bible and eyeing me warily.

The next hours are tortuous as I go through the motions of having demons cast from me.

My father, in his infinite wisdom, is under impression that i've been possessed and persuaded to help free my vampire master.

He is right about one thing.

I have to bite my lip to keep from asking if he's still alive, if he's okay. I'm not sure father would even give me a straight answer, even if I begged.

I'm chanted over, sprinkled with holy water and forced to cower as a cross is held above me.

Unsure of what exactly I'm supposed to do. Writhe and scream and vomit? I do the best I can by playing up a performance, but there's only so much that I can do to convince them that these spells are releasing some demonic hold from me.

I buck and scream, letting tears fall freely. I want to applaud myself at how convincing my acting skills have significantly improved, but not to be attributed to anything besides necessity. I know I'm convincing them with the looks of terror on their faces.

My father even goes so far as to test the bonds that hold me multiple times as if he's terrified that I'll be aided by some of Fraser's godly strength. As if I could snap the thick rope ensnaring my wrists.

It's a laughable idea, but I don't much feel like laughing.

The charade lasts hours, and I'm slicked with sweat by the time it's over.

The priest nears the bedside, prying my eyes open with his finger tips as he glares deeply into my eyes.

"Yes, well, I am certain she's cured." He takes a step back with a satisfied, jerk of the nod. "Virgin maidens are highly suseptable to a demon's enticing magic. She fits every aspect of a perfect victim, the easiet prey. You are lucky we caught this before he killed her, or worse, deflowered her."

I wince, and its not from the agony in the arms as Gentry cuts me loose. They truly think I was being mind controlled.

For a moment, I consider it. What if I am being controlled by him? What if he does have his claws in the deepest parts of my head?

I fight against the idea. It's impossible. I am being controlled, but not by his power or his evil, but his love. My love. It fuels me like dry twigs thrown on an already roaring fire.

If the stakes were high before, than theyre in the sky now.

I have a feeling that its either escape or death, and that maybe I've known it from the very beginning.

I'm sorry this chapter was short :,( More to come soon!

More to come soon!

Don't forget to vote and comment, it helps me out a lot and I love hearing your thoughts!!