epilogue

40 years later

Ailsa POV

When I was a mortal, I thought that time moved far too slowly. I thought this was the most horrible way to experience time, the worst way experience the world, just dragging on into the abyss of eternity.

I duck under a tree, breaching the forest to look down at the cliff drop off beneath me.

But now, as an immortal, I can't help feeling like maybe I was wrong.

I can't say that there's anything in my life that I don't enjoy, immortality is a gift after all, a gift that very few are granted, but having so much time, in a way, is a curse in and of itself.

I sigh, taking a small step forward, getting close to the drop off, but not too close. I would survive the fall, but it wouldn't be pleasant.

Because having so much time makes it all pass so fast that I feel like the world is spinning around me and I'm just sitting in one place.

Everything is a whirlwind. A beautiful, crazy magical, whirlwind, and I wouldn't trade anything for it. I've just come to realize the cons of such a life.

Staring at the moon, I pray that I will never take time for granted ever again.

I sit down, looking over the land as I sit on a rock outcropping, pondering my wonderful existence, and everything that comes with it.

"Mind if I join you?" It's been years now, and I would recognize that voice anywhere. After all, I hear it every day, even in my dreams, whether it be the most wonderful dreams, or my worst nightmares. Nightmares of losing him.

"Of course, I wouldn't expect anything less." I peek over my shoulder at Fraser, my blonde hair swinging like a curtain.

He's standing in the moonlight, looking far too handsome with the white light casting shadows across his face, making the sharp panes of his cheeks and jaw look dangerously sharp, harsh.

"Although, I don't know why you ask, because even if I were to say no, you would still find yourself next to me."

My words have him chuckling when he comes to sit by me, throwing an arm around my shoulders, and remaining silent for a while as we look out together at the land below.

"You know," He starts not looking at me as he speaks. "This never does seem to get old."

I lean into him, a rueful smile growing on my lips.

"It is a beautiful view." I agree, loving the way that the land rolls and the plants sway with the gentle night wind.

Not to mention the moon's glow aids us strength. That's a beauty of its own kind.

He laughs again, shaking his head, and dislodging my own from his shoulder.

"I will admit it is beautiful, but that's not exactly what I was talking about."

He turns to look down at me, an admiring look in his dark eyes.

"I meant being with you. I fear I'll never become sick of it, and so you will have to put up with me longer yet."

I heave a massive sigh of fake annoyance.

"I've come to the same conclusion recently." I tease, "I suppose I'll just have to learn how to bear it."

There's a quick movement and suddenly I'm pinned to the floor of the forest. Rocks and sticks and dirt digging into my back.

"Oh, you've done it now." He groans in a deep, taunting voice.